PDA

View Full Version : carb question help you guys vinny help

andresinibus
06-28-2004, 01:26 PM
here is the thing i posted a tread because i had a problem with my a/c and you guys told me to check the a/c screws so i mess a little with them and it kind of worked better but today the car just went crazy on me i was at a stop light waiting for the green when i steped on it it started normal but then suddenly the RPMs just jumped up it was speeding by it-self like possesed or something to brake i had to put it on neutral because other ways it wouldn't stop when i finally got to work i turned off the key but the car stayed dieseling for like 40 seconds or so what can i do heeeelp. please :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

keruhas184
06-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Well, one thing that would definately solve your problem: get an lxi :rofl:

No seriously. Are you talking about ac idle boost screw? Did you try playing with the screw(s) again and putting it back the way it was?

I use to get the wild rpms too, i did a complete ignition tuneup (plugs, wires, coil, cap+rotor) and it seems to have solved it. But you could change all your old vacuum lines and see if it helps, Autozone carries them.

Yea carbs are a pain, but you're in the same boat as all of us cabred guys. :)

andresinibus
06-28-2004, 01:51 PM
i think its something more than that. i was thinking on cleaning, tuning, and puting a repair kit in my carb i :dunno: if that will help or not what you think?

thanks do.

Vinny
06-28-2004, 02:02 PM
I have NOOOO idea on carbs, for the record. AC i can do FI I can. 4 cylinder carbs umm no. Only suggestion I would have would be double check the adjustment screws that you moved earlier. Also make sure you don't adjust things like the idle or AC screws until the cars warmed up

Oh and ya might wanna take my name of the title, maybe someone like Mike (A20A1) or Shep or K-roy can help you. They'd be more apt to look if the thread didn't look like it was directed to one person

k-roy
06-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Im gonna say you got that AC/Idle Boost Screw screw too tight.
It sounds like something else is causing the idle to drop. Try loosening the screw back. Then replace the vacuum connections to the A/C Idle boost valve. Hell the valve could be the culpirt, try making a junkyard run and snagging a new one.

To be completely honest I have never had running A/C in this car, so this is just my best guess. I ripped out my A/C years ago.

88accordalltheway
06-28-2004, 03:02 PM
noooo dude!!!!!!!!!!!! u messed somthing up on your carb for sure, i know cause the same exact thing happened to me about a month ago. I was messing with the carb, and i guess i somehoe bent the choke flap rod and it idled like that. I know, i didnt think i could have bent it wither but i did. I had thew whole carb rebuilt since it was fucked, i recmend doing the same. I did the same thing as you, you step on the gas, then it goes faster, and faster, until its out of control, and then its impossible to stop, and when you do, you put it in nutral, and the rpms red line, then u trun it off, and it still chugs. Yea bro u f-ed ur carb!

pixiesfan78
06-28-2004, 06:19 PM
your carb is not fucked.but there is a few different reasons this happens ive had it happen a couple times.first i would try adjusting any screws on the carb you messed with. then i would go straght to the throttle cable if you made it tighter to help idle thats the problem. or if you zip tied it to any thing this may cause binding. next make sure your throttle linkage is not binding and deffinitlly lube it good with some liquid wrench or the like.if it is slow to return then throttle return spring may be bad.for checking the throttle thuroghlly you need to unplug battery first then undo fuel line and pinch it off to stop fuel flow if it drips at all.then disconect throttle cable and check out the throttle open to close.if there is no luck with these things i would also look into is the fast idle screw behind carb its kinda hard to find.if that is not it its probably the choke like 88accord said.

andresinibus
07-01-2004, 07:20 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions but the problem was solved. It happend to be a little piece of the sealant that the dorks at the factory put on the inside of the air filter housing to protect the vacum lines from liquing i guess any ways that little piece was sucked in by the intake and got stock on the (i dont know how is called ) round plate that lets air in the intake on the bottom of the carb not the one under the choke but the one on the other side. i manage to get it out and there it is working fine as usual. thanks a lot to all of you. :rockon: