PDA

View Full Version : connecting lights to your amp so that it will come on when your radio does?

jkim1978
07-20-2002, 02:05 AM
does anybody know how to hook up something such as a neon lights to your amp... so that the neon lights will light up when your turn on your radio/amp.... on the amp there is a hook up for remote, positive, and negative... i just wanna know if anyone knows anything on hooking up neon lights to your amp... if they do.. then can you guys draw me a diagram.. of the hook up.. if possible.. thanks

staticpat
07-20-2002, 07:46 AM
im not sure about running it straight off your remote wire, that may take too much power, but i could be wrong. what you may want to do is get yourself a cheap relay from radioshack or a car store. then hook up your remote wire and another 12v power source (cig lighter or anything) to the relay. then the relay can go to your amp and neon. now whenever the remote wire sends voltage to the relay, it will switch the amp and neon on. man im sorry if i make no sense.

the periods signify empty space

remote wire-------------.........---------------neon light
...................................relay.---------------amp
12v source---------------........-------------whatever else

basically run the remote wire and alternate source into the relay, and anything you run off the relay will get power whenever the remote wire is voltage

86LX-ihatch
07-22-2002, 08:38 PM
Yes you will need to run a relay. Your remote wire might would turn it on but it wouldn't do it safely. Get a SPDT relay, run the remote wire off of your deck to pole 86, ground poles 87 and 85, and run pole 30 to your amplifier and light. I think this is correct. I will check in the morning, it is late and I dont have a relay sitting in front of me right now.