PDA

View Full Version : R12 AC Capacity

1989accordaz
06-28-2004, 03:07 PM
My car is a 1989 Accord LX. I am having my AC inspected and recharged. I am in Tucson, Arizona and is getting pretty darn hot here.My question is: What is the max punds of freon that my AC holds?

The mechanic will charge me $25 for inspecting and testing the AC system for problems and $39.00 per pound of R-12. He said that it depends on how empty it is, I will need around 2 to 2.5 punds. So I am looking at $120 bucks for the job. What do you say, Is this reasonable?

Hope you can shed some light on this. :dunno:

Vinny
06-28-2004, 03:10 PM
30oz or a lil under 2lbs for the 89

mykwikcoupe
06-28-2004, 04:58 PM
I believe your supposed to completely drain the entire system before any refilling is to happen. Im doing mine myself here in the next few weeks. Theres a subject in the how to section about refilling AC lines. Its real informative try it.

zero.counter
06-28-2004, 05:08 PM
I believe your supposed to completely drain the entire system before any refilling is to happen. Im doing mine myself here in the next few weeks. Theres a subject in the how to section about refilling AC lines. Its real informative try it.
Very true. He will need to evacuate, vacuum, then refill. If he tops it off, he will be in violation of the EPA ordinances in place, possibly resulting in a $5k+ fine. If he is good, he will do so and search for leaks which will eventually cause you to have to refill in the near future if not correctly diagnosed.

Did you even think about evacuating then performing a conversion? It will be cheaper and safer in the long run. Phosgene, is a fear I have of R12.

mykwikcoupe
06-28-2004, 06:03 PM
also just for future reference. HONDA stealerships sell a R-134a retrofit kit for like 60 bucks. It comes with a new condenser and the correct oil. Its worth every penny. Id recommend them highly

zero.counter
06-28-2004, 06:23 PM
also just for future reference. HONDA stealerships sell a R-134a retrofit kit for like 60 bucks. It comes with a new condenser and the correct oil. Its worth every penny. Id recommend them highly
Or the Autozone kit for $30.

1989accordaz
06-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks to all for the input, I am gonna put this on hold so I can evaluate $$$ the conversion. If in the long run is gonna save me some bucks then I might give it a try. And it goes without saying that I will certainly avoid any action that may result in a fine ( who knows my next door neighbor might be a hardliner environmentalist!)

Thanks again. 3geez kicks A**!

Busted_Blue
06-28-2004, 09:12 PM
I still think R12 is colder than R134A. Maybe the kits I've experience sucks...

1989accordaz
06-28-2004, 09:19 PM
That is the main reason of why I would recharge my AC. I have heard a lot of people who say that R12 is colder. If that is true, I won't mind paying extra just to have an AC blowing colder air. We have around 4 months here in Tucson ( it may be 5) with 100 degree weather everyday. Right now, I may look cool driving with the windows down, but inside of the car it feels far from it. Besides, driving over 50 MPH with the windows down is not fuel efficient.

So if it's colder I am going with the R12.

Mike D
06-29-2004, 11:54 AM
I would think that it would be just as inefficient to run the a/c as it would be to run with the windows down.

1989accordaz
06-29-2004, 02:29 PM
I would think that it would be just as inefficient to run the a/c as it would be to run with the windows down.

If you are driving 30 miles per hour, yeah, roll the windows down. Over 50 mph the wind resistance increases and it actually demands more power from your vehicle than having the AC on.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/aa062300a.htm
Gas Saving Tips and Suggestions

Cut down on the use of the air conditioning. A/C takes about 8
horsepower to run and those horses eat gas. Our forefathers crossed a
whole country without A/C, I think we can cross town without it. On a
long trip on the open highway, it is better to use the A/C than to
drive with the windows open. The extra drag of open windows on a
vehicle can eat up more fuel than the A/C will.

mykwikcoupe
06-29-2004, 09:30 PM
last year I drove from lynnwood to newport into preist lake idaho in the tbird. I had a VW pace car at like 120-140 at times. Mostlt in the 120 range though. I had the AC cranked and didnt even notice when the radio said it was 105 outside. I stopped for gas in spokane and when I opened the door I thought I was going to melt. The car was so cold inside we were about to put long shirts on.

AC is great and is a good thing to have. I love it and cant wait to refill my accords. Oh and I got this stuff called well Ill check. Its supposed to work as R-12 and R134a but without any sideeffects of either to the ozone.

Blue Impact
06-30-2004, 08:26 AM
I still think R12 is colder than R134A. Maybe the kits I've experience sucks...

I heard it's colder, but then I also heard that R12 is illegal here in CA. I'm not too sure though, but who cares, I've converted mine to R134A already.

Vinny
06-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Its illegal to buy it or service with it if you don't have your 609 cert. Its more effcient that 134A molecularly. It cools faster and is about 5% or so colder. I run R12 in the hatch and R134A in the sedan and can definitely tell the diffrerence. If it cost more its gotta be better :D