PDA

View Full Version : No Fifth Gear

RED LXI
06-28-2004, 03:58 PM
My tranny seems perfectly fine but for some reason my fifth gear is gone. Could it just be an adjusting problem or is my tranny F*$!ed. I remember moving that adjustment screw by mistake, but could that be the reason?? All the other gears work perfectly exept fifth. WHen in fifth I can hear a little grinding noise, but the gear won't engage. ALso my car seems to be stalling a little at low rpm's, the symtoms are common to the feeling of bad gas in my tank. I don't know if the clutch is just wasted(about 11 month's old, But not driven much). The only reason I havn't yanked the cluth yet is because sometimes i'll just get pissed off and let her ripp from stall at about 6,000 rpm's and the clutch would spin my 17's like they were stock, especially when the car has just been warmed -up or hasn't driven long. The engine isn't even throwing one singel code this is wierd. :mad: :dunno:

Vinny
06-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Accord trannys are prone to losing 5th gear because of a lack of proper lubrication. You need to check your tranny fluid level. If you run your tranny with low fluid you'll eventually lose 5th gear, PERMANANENTLY. Thats Just just the way it goes.

RED LXI
06-28-2004, 04:18 PM
I Know its not the tranny fluid or lubrication, because I recently filled it with some lucas oil stabilizer and 20w50 castrol syntec blend(4 month's ago) and there is not transmission oil leak(unless it evaporates?). Could the lucas oil be the problem. also before the gear went it used to make a little whining sound when in fifth gear, but i thought it was something natural with the car because it operated perfectly on constant trips to 120 mph with ease. by the way the tranny is an 86 lx tranny. :mad: :dunno:

Vinny
06-28-2004, 04:24 PM
20-50 is too thick. Its suppose to take straight 30w,or 5/10-30. whinnings caused bty the gear not getting enough oil to it because the 20-50's too thick

RED LXI
06-28-2004, 04:40 PM
stupid F*#!cking misguiding mechanics, sounds like my transmission is gone to the dogs. I'll just have to get a new one. Can anyone help me with my slipping problem, anyone experiencing the same symptom's or could the thick oil also be causing slipping. Thanks for your input vinny. :burn:

Justin86
06-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Yea and that 5th has lube problems, when I blew my tranny the 5th gear bearing was the first to go then the gear got stripped, not to pretty. 20W-50 is too heavy, that is for high rev race car. I street driven manual will not get hot enought to use 20W-50 or even 30W.

bullard123
06-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Yes the Lucas oil was your problem. Your 5th gear is burned out. When I bought my accord it had no 5th gear because the previous owner put gear oil in the transmission. Use 10W motor oil!!!!!! It seems like this is a very common mistake people make but it is very costly. I took mine to a Honda dealership and got it replaced it does fine now, plus its under warranty. It cost me $550 to get it replaced but its well worth it. I got tired of not being able to go past 60mph!!!!! Good luck man I hpoe you get that fixed.

bullard123
06-28-2004, 05:52 PM
stupid F*#!cking misguiding mechanics, sounds like my transmission is gone to the dogs. I'll just have to get a new one. Can anyone help me with my slipping problem, anyone experiencing the same symptom's or could the thick oil also be causing slipping. Thanks for your input vinny. :burn:

Whoa man!!! You don't need a new tranny, just a new 5th gear. You see the first 4 gears are together and the fifth gear sits alone by its self. That's why your first 4 gears are doing fine. You can drive your car just like that if you don't have the cash right now. I drove mine with 4 gears about a year until I got the money to get my 5th gear replaced.

XJRiggs
06-28-2004, 06:30 PM
I replaced my fifth gear myself. The hardest part was removing and reinstalling the tranny.

AZmike
06-28-2004, 09:57 PM
If the main and countershafts aren't damaged, the whole fifth gear assembly (both gears, syncro, fork) can be replaced with the tranny in the car. Only the end cover needs to be removed--and maybe the battery for working space.

CletusWindu
06-28-2004, 11:40 PM
It cost me $550 to get it replaced but its well worth it. I got tired of not being able to go past 60mph!!!!!

Dam, couldn't go past 60? Something must have been wrong with your car because I know mine will do 90 in 3rd without being in the red... Although maybe thats what helped my 5th burn itself up... Oh well, So I just wont get the good old 30mpg Im used to...

RED LXI
06-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your help guys, even with the fifth gear gone I can still hit about 115 in 4th gear. Will the thick oil in my tranny eventually kill the other gears too? One more thing.....my clutch works fine at high speeds but is sliping at low speeds, I am wodering if the itself is acting up or because of the thick oil or is my clutch gone already?

bullard123
07-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Dam, couldn't go past 60? Something must have been wrong with your car because I know mine will do 90 in 3rd without being in the red... Although maybe thats what helped my 5th burn itself up... Oh well, So I just wont get the good old 30mpg Im used to...

Do you have a 5 speed? Cause if you could do 90 in 3rd gear with a 5 speed then something is definetly wrong. Yeah I could only go up to 60-65 in 4th gear.

dXsquared
07-02-2004, 04:19 PM
i can do 90 in 3rd too... 150 KMH

Travis

CletusWindu
07-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Do you have a 5 speed? Cause if you could do 90 in 3rd gear with a 5 speed then something is definetly wrong. Yeah I could only go up to 60-65 in 4th gear.

I had a 5 speed, now its a 4 speed. But yeah, 3rd gear was at about 90 just before the redline. Right before redline my gears were:
1st - 29~30
2nd - 58~60
3rd - 89~90
4th - 115~120
5th - I dont know never went above 130. And now I dont have a 5th so its about 0.

sjsjbb
02-09-2006, 09:48 AM
just a thought if u arnt getting enough lubercant to the 5th gear and it goes than u arnt getting enough there to lube needle bearings an space colar alas that stuff will probley seize to shaft than tranny locks up. just my thought on this problem.