PDA

View Full Version : power steering fluid leaking into the engine through speedometer?

Slavic
06-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Had the rack and pinion replaced by a mechanic and continued to experience a power steering fluid leak. After bringing the car back to the shop several times I was told that he can't find any leaks on the rack and pinion and that the speedometer leaks power steering fluid into the engine. He added that pre 1990 Accords have this kind of speedometer setup.

Is this right or are they just tired of me showing up with the same problem? I have an 87 AUTO parts car. Can I use the speedometer from that car to fix the 89 MMANUAL that has the leak?

Thanks!

bennettracing
06-28-2004, 07:37 PM
last I checked, the speedometer has nothing to do with power steering fluid... Could be transmission fluid somehow...

carotman
06-28-2004, 09:30 PM
The speedo SENSOR/cable actuator is connected to the power steering system to give a variable assistance. If the sensor is cracked, the fluid could go inside the tranny (not the engine)

If you have a noticeable leak, you can check by draining the tranny fluid.

doug
06-29-2004, 03:35 AM
the speed sensor does have a relief valve that could be leaking power steering fluid externally. look at the sensor and see if there are any signs of a leak. also check the fluid lines to and from the sensor.

POS carb
06-29-2004, 06:16 AM

Slavic
06-29-2004, 06:42 AM
OK, so he was giving me correct info. He probably said it leaked into transmission, not the engine, but I got it mixed up.

If it leaks into the tranny and not out at the relief valve or hoses, Is the leak something I should get fixed immediately to prevent tranny damage or can I get to it when I have the time. It's been like that a while, and who knows how long with the previous owner so I'm guessing it's not a big deal, but would like confirmation.

It'd be nice if I could just swap the one from my 87 AUTO parts car.

Thanks for your input.

carotman
06-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Having too much of the wrong fluid will burn up the tranny in the long run I guess. You can just disconnect the 2 hoses going to the sensor and connect them together. The assistance won't be variable anymore and the steering might be kinda slugish at high speeds.... Get another speed sensor at the junkyard if that one is shot. I'm not sure if the Auto sensor is the same since I never checked nor owned one hehe.

pixiesfan78
06-29-2004, 02:44 PM
ok now i know this one. the power steering speed sensor has two o rings in it a small one on the shaft and one inthe top part. getting this solved is a bitch but doesnt take long.first youll have to get the orings at a dealer they do not have these at parts stores.next there is one 10 mm bolt holding it into the tranny oh yea first undo the little clip holding the speedo cable into sensor then pull out cable.now with the cable and bolt removed you have to get a pry bar under the sensor somewhere and pry it out of the tranny some come out easy some are a f%^&king bitch.once its out take it to a bench flip it over and remove the two bolts holding the top on. the big o ring inside is the one that leaks fluid so bad i had to put fluid in every three days.claen all parts well install new or ing i recomend a small bead of sealent around the oring to prevent future leaks.throw your new o ring on the shaft reinstall the only hard part about reinstall is getting the cable back in it only goes in one way look down in the hole where the cable goes you can see how the cable should go in.after doing this repair i have yet to lose any more steering fliud. getting another one from the junker is not a good plan because they all leak eventually.

pixiesfan78
06-29-2004, 02:51 PM
oh by the way do not tighten the two bolts holding the cap on the sensor this will bind the unit. once you put it back together you should be able to turn the sprocket on the bottom with no problem if it dont turn loosen the bolts untill it does i think this is the reason they all leak.good luck it worth doing rather then leaking fluid everywhere and possibly in trannyalso the only way it will leak into tranny is if the speedo sensor is busted somewhere on the shaft. your mechanic would have to have taken it off to find this out.so i doubt if its doing that.but pulling it out real quick will give you a sure answer.

Slavic
06-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Thanks again. Will let you know how it works out.

Strugglebucket
06-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Don't over tighten the the bolt that holds the sensor to the transmission. The tab will break real easy.