PDA

View Full Version : A pillar revinyled?

BITESIZE
06-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Hey, has anyone removed there A-pillar plastic parts in there car....the inside plastic parts by their windshield and continue over the door jam? I want to vinyl them, but am not sure how to remove them. :sadwave:

Vanilla Sky
06-28-2004, 10:03 PM
just clips... pull carefully... there may be a hidden screw up top, and one or two hidden behind the dash, or back headrest, depending on which ones

markmdz89hatch
06-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey, has anyone removed there A-pillar plastic parts in there car....the inside plastic parts by their windshield and continue over the door jam? I want to vinyl them, but am not sure how to remove them. :sadwave:

They're fairly easy to remove, but you do have to be real careful b/c they are very brittle, and can break if you bend them too much. Take the weather stripping off the door jamb, and use a small upholstery tack puller, door panel popper, or flat head screwdriver, and pull the plastic a little, and you'll see where the retainer clips are. Then use the tool carefully to pop the clip, and you're all set. A 5-10 minute job, but not fun if you snap the plastic. Trust me, I snapped both sides before I figured out how to get them out the right way.

bc86
07-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Weird, one of mine has fabric on it, and the other side doesnt. What do u think this means?

thegreatdane
07-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Weird, one of mine has fabric on it, and the other side doesnt. What do u think this means?

Means that one of them wasnt on there from the beginning..
Some interior colors have fabric on the pillars.

bc86
07-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Ahh, i c. So my car has been pieced together b4 my time, nice.

NXRacer
07-28-2004, 03:12 PM
i wonder if you could heat the plastic up with a blowdryer to soften the plastic up just a little to help it flex a little.

bc86
07-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Prob could, maybe will try it.

Sabz5150
07-28-2004, 05:53 PM
How do you remove the fabric off of it? I gotta do this soon.

bc86
07-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Im guessin its just tacked on behind the piller, dont quote me, i may b wrong.

DeathRat
07-28-2004, 06:19 PM
? here.....
Has anyone installed a piller pod on this A-Pillar?
If so, which one was used as a base to start with.
I have the heat gun, etc already.

HondaBoy
07-28-2004, 07:30 PM
i removed all of mine when i redid them. i'd say you need to start at the bottom takeing shit off, otherwise you can break the parts easily. gotta start with the part on the center pillar's bottom, then undo the front seat belt mount on pillar. then you can take the top part of center pillar off after removing a few screws. then you can more easily take the A pillar off without as much risk of breaking. i was going to put vinal on my pillar plastic parts, but i found that would just be too difficult with the extra thickness of the vinal. although thinner fabric could work more easily. i just didnt wanna spend extra money on the vinal for the plastic, so i used krylon fusion and it hasnt faded or anything.

Mattphi
07-29-2004, 06:36 AM
? here.....
Has anyone installed a piller pod on this A-Pillar?
If so, which one was used as a base to start with.
I have the heat gun, etc already.

DeathRat i am actually installing a pillar pod today...mine is a "universal" one and came with 4 screws. I guess all it is, is use a hairdryer (which i heard u can do) or a heat gun and just mold and screw it to it

DeathRat
07-29-2004, 04:50 PM
DeathRat i am actually installing a pillar pod today...mine is a "universal" one and came with 4 screws. I guess all it is, is use a hairdryer (which i heard u can do) or a heat gun and just mold and screw it to it
If you don't mind sharing...Whatz the P/N & Manufacturer of it? :bow:

Mattphi
07-30-2004, 07:41 AM
its the APC one from pep boys. Just straight black. Its tight. I worked on it yesterday for a little bit and trust me...when it says "it may require some fitment" YEP it does. LOL our A pillars are definatly alot skinnier than the one intended but im gettin it done today and i will take some pics

NXRacer
07-30-2004, 07:45 AM
i've heard that the A pillar pod for the new eclipses work perfectly. I think bobafett used one.

Justin86
07-30-2004, 08:06 AM
I think the civic pillars are a close fit to.

DeathRat
07-31-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanx guys for the info....I'll look into it soon.