PDA

View Full Version : Crank pulley came off!!

Strugglebucket
06-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Well I was coming home from work tonight and my alternator light comes on. Then I lose my power steering. Then I hear grinding sounds. So I pull over and take a look and see that the crank pulley is hanging off of the shaft, like barely on at all. Fortunately, a cop came by (that sounds weird), and called my house for me so one of my roomates could bring me tools.
I put it back on and drove home alright but I'm gonna have to get a new woodruff key.
Moral of story: don't put too much anti-seize on a crank bolt. :uh:

Busted_Blue
06-29-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm glad you are ok. Anything look severely damage?

86LXItooFAST4me
06-29-2004, 06:09 AM
haha, my brother did that on his old chevy suberban. lost his crank pully though. but on chevy V8s the water pump is drivin by the crank pully. lol, he drove it as far home as he could. he mad it with a dead ass batery and a warped head on an engine he just rebuilt. omg it was funny, i was like "dude, y didnt you just fucking stop?" lol

Strugglebucket
06-29-2004, 02:11 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah, I was thinking about driving it home off of just the battery but then I remembered I would have no water pump. It's kind of funny cause it's like my crank pulley bolt hates me. When I want it to come off, it won't, and when I need it to stay on, it comes off. :rolleyes:

86LXItooFAST4me
06-29-2004, 02:14 PM
...When I want it to come off, it won't, and when I need it to stay on, it comes off. :rolleyes:...

sounds like woman too huh? lol

Strugglebucket
06-29-2004, 02:29 PM
:rofl: Lol!!!

SteveDX89
06-29-2004, 03:05 PM
My crank pulley bolt wouldn't come off. I had to take it to a shop to have it done. I couldn't get it myself. I think the shop manual says you're just supposed to put fresh engine oil on the threads before you put it back in.

Strugglebucket
06-29-2004, 03:26 PM
Fresh engine oil, huh? I put anti-seize because I was sick of it being a life and death struggle every time I needed to get the bolt off. I was like, "okay, I'm gonna make SURE this bolt comes off easy next time." Guess I learned my lesson.

1989accordaz
06-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Them crank pulley's bolt. I learned my lesson. Use an impact wrench capable of pulling 600 ft/lbs it will save you a lot of headaches.