PDA

View Full Version : what to change next

Ludi Mali
06-29-2004, 02:47 PM
I just got my accord about 10k ago when it had 120k miles on it, and decided to change the air filter. To my surprise when i took off the cover, the original air filter was still in there. Now, that really bothers me because now i don't know what else needs to be changed. I did the spark plugs, but who knows what else is robbing my power. My gtech gives me a reading of between 70-75, which seems a little low to me.... so whats next to change?

88accordhb
06-29-2004, 02:51 PM
do a full tune up bro :thumbsup:

Ludi Mali
06-29-2004, 02:52 PM
whats fully involved in that?

Strugglebucket
06-29-2004, 02:59 PM
I would say change the fuel filters, plug wires, flush the coolant, put in new belts. Do the timing belt too because my original one went at about 130k. While you're down there you might wanna do the water pump and the front crankshaft seal if it's leaking. Oh and maybe check your valve clearance, too. That's all I can think of for now.

Your oils been changed, right?;)

Ludi Mali
06-29-2004, 03:01 PM
yeah, i changed oil when i got the car, because i know a used car dealer and he said sometimes he'd put breakfluid in the engine. Because it makes it sound great for about 2 weeks. and then the engine falls apart.

SteveDX89
06-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Check all engine fluids
Clean, inspect, and test the battery
Check and adjust the belts
Check all underhood hoses
Check the cooling system
Replace the air filter
Replace the spark plugs
Replace the dizzy cap and rotor
Check and adjust idle speed
Check the fuel system
Replace spark plugs wires
Check the charging system

Replacement of that stuff should run about $100-$125. If the stuff you check comes up bad, tack on some more money to pay for it. Good luck. Hopefully it all checks out good.

Wood9669
06-29-2004, 06:39 PM
i replaced my stock fuel filter at 202,000. fuel coming out was almost black in color.. my car went from almost stalling when i floored it to almost getting a chirp (i got a valve timing issue or ignition or alternator i think.. but still HUUUUUGE difference)

Ludi Mali
07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, i just changed both fuel filters, the gas coming out looked like water from an ashtray. but now my car idles at 2k rpm. i know the carb has never been tinkered with so i dunno why the idle speed screw would be off, but thats the only thing i can think of to check.

k-roy
07-01-2004, 12:20 PM
The carb has probably been tweaked before, while the fuel filters were semi clogged. Now its throwing too much gas in there. What is happening sounds like when I changed my fuel pump, the old pump was not flowing as much so the carb started to flood. You should check the howto section of this board for a good article on carb tuning.

Other than that change the thermostat &gasket, pcv valve (Get both of those at the dealership).
I would also change the transmission fluid. If you have a 5 speed use Honda MTF, if its auto use Mobil One synthetic. Your spark plug wires are probably not up to par as well. Get NGK wires and plugs, they rock. ALL the belts, yes the timing belt is a major bitch but it can majorly screw you if that one snaps. Get some cooling system flush and use it, then get a gallon of purified water and new antifreeze.

Ludi Mali
07-01-2004, 01:02 PM
just went with the basic bosch wires, and radiator was cracked when i bought it so thats done. will check the toher stuff tho, thanks a lot folks.