PDA

View Full Version : WTF!! Does fuel go here?????

soljaboy2000
06-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Okay I was messing with my car again today after work and found something unsual. Okay as before I said my car is getting fuel through the filter but the bowl was empty. So I poured a little fuel straight down the carburetor and started it and it started and was running for a couple of seconds like everything was normal and then shut off with kinda backfire sound from the carb and fuel sprayed up. I looked in the carb and fuel was dripping in the secondary throttle opening thus filling it up cause it was close. The fuel was coming out of the needle thingy....Is that normal?????

Heres a pic of carb after rebuilding it....see anything unsual let me know. :sad2:
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo10/fa/38/e8679c0ca68c.jpg?_rh=1hx0pmoors6s64ql0jbd072eu

Here's where the fuel was shooting out...is this normal???
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo05/bb/c0/ef0ae4df16b2.jpg?_rh=3uswbu7m5bid43kkdanc6ptlr

PhydeauX
06-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Either the float levels aren't set right or the needle valve isnt seating right. Thats the carb flooding.

andy

skull1441
06-29-2004, 09:01 PM
i think thats normal dood

soljaboy2000
06-29-2004, 09:11 PM
....Thats normal!!!!??? It fills up halfway with fuel and thats normal?????

SteveDX89
06-30-2004, 02:15 AM
No, that's not normal. Especially in the secondary. I'm not to swift on carbs but I can help somewhat. When the car runs, in the main venturi you should see a fine mist of gas being sprayed in. If you don't see that, the vacuum is not right or you're fuel pump could be dead.

soljaboy2000
06-30-2004, 02:42 AM
The fuel pump is good because its been replaced and I can hear it and plus it delivers fuel all the way up to the filter in the engine (i disconnected it to test).. I think its a problem with the vacuum...thats why I wanted to do a vacuum removal and not have to deal with all these hoses.

SteveDX89
06-30-2004, 02:58 AM
Vacuum line removal is great. I was afraid to do anything with carb before I took them off but once they were gone, I felt more relaxed when dealing with it. Since you're in Hawaii, you don't need the choke anymore so I'd say go with the full removal. You should have one main vacuum line when you're done.

shepherd79
06-30-2004, 03:47 AM
that is not normal. you should never see the secondary spilling out the fuel.
eather you have float lever adjusted too high or your carb needs rebuilding.

accordlxi2.0
06-30-2004, 09:13 AM
sorry to say but i knew it.
one being i had this problem before.
but in oder to solve it i would raise the throttle level higher, and lower the float screw.
see what happening when you rebuilded the carb.
you probaly did'nt lower the float screw, and it caused the washer to come outta place.
so hopefully you're able to start it, like i said raise the trottle stop screw high and lower the float. laeve that way until you don't see "drops" of gas dripping from the venturi's in either barrel.

PhydeauX
07-01-2004, 09:10 AM
I would take the top back off the carb and measure and precisely set the float level. It will definitely save you some head aches later on. Your carb is flooding. It has nothing to do with the vacuume lines. There are 2 things that cause the carb to flood. The needle valve not closing properly or the float being set too high. Check both of them and you're bound to find the problem.

andy