PDA

View Full Version : electrical probs

Bigmaxxin
06-30-2004, 06:34 PM
hey guys, i know iv been asking a lot of questions recently, but not driving my car is driving me crazy. this is pretty much the last obstacle in the way of me driving the car.anyway at any time wether the car is running or not, if you hit the brakes, the temp gauge rises, and all the lights in the car dim. when the car is running the car is not as hot as the gauge says. however it is running much warmer, because when the car is on the cooling fans never kick on. When the car is off and you press the brakes, the temp gauge goes all the way up, and then the cooling fans come on, also the check engine, and oil light are on, but very dimly, and this is with the key totally out of the car. (also if you hit the brakes again when the cooling fans are on, they slow down a lot. i honestly have no idea as to where to start tracking the problem. is it a bad fuse, or an electrical short somewhere?

EDIT: i think it is the ground, because i have changed that and now, all the lights dim, for instance when you turn on the blinkers, all the dash warning lights flash with it, and such, same for everything that requires power. i upgraded the ground cable to 4 gauge, but i cannot find my stock grounding cable, does it need to be grounded to several locations? i have it on one of my motor mounts right now, if you look at my last post, and post a picture i would be very appreaciative.

shepherd79
07-01-2004, 03:20 AM
sorry, but i think you have some major short somewhere. eather you have to pull engine harness and inspect it, or you can start probing every wire. it may take a while but you will find the short.
PS. you may want to get real HONDA shop manual with Electrical documentations. you can find it on ebay for $30-40

nswst8
07-01-2004, 04:06 AM
Get to checking every wire. I would start with the Alt and start back tracking also check for oxidation, corrosion clean terminals on battery.
Phil :cheers:

cruznz
07-01-2004, 04:21 AM
hmmm...i'd start with the brake light circuit first

Bigmaxxin
07-01-2004, 12:39 PM
well im still checking, but i dont really know wether if it is worth it, i guess im just a lil mad cause it has been not wanting to run right, after i fix something it gives me some other problem.

Bloodlust
07-01-2004, 12:42 PM
well im still checking, but i dont really know wether if it is worth it, i guess im just a lil mad cause it has been not wanting to run right, after i fix something it gives me some other problem.

Welcome to the life of owning a 15 year old car. :sadwave:

Bigmaxxin
07-01-2004, 04:10 PM
lol for real, well i called my friend, and he says his brother is really good with electronics, anyway the car is all finished now, i finished the vaccum lines, and everything so once this is done it better run, and run good.

Bigmaxxin
07-02-2004, 08:01 PM
could someone post a picture for the best places to ground the battery to, it now does it when anything is turned on, like if the headlights are on and the blinkers are on, everything will blink with the blinkers, im thinkin its a bad ground, i have it grounded only on to a motor mount right now, does there need to be multiple, or does any one have a picture, im getting a little desperate! thanx for the help.

Mac
07-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Sorry I don't have a pic, but my batt ground runs down to a bracket that is on the transmission by the clutch cable adjustment (below batt, front of starter). You might want to try there or to the engine block. Make sure that where you put it it is real clean. You can use a wire brush to clean it up. I also read some posts here where members had some wierd problems because the ground from the valve cover to the frame was bad or missing.

Bigmaxxin
07-03-2004, 11:33 AM
ok i can see that point, and i will try it, and clean it, i do also have the valve cover to the frame, but i am hoping that this will work.