PDA

View Full Version : I may be the only one to defend the auto...

TheMagi
07-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Yea, I'm inviting some heat here, but check it out. I can spin the tires for about 15 feet, and spin them really good on the second upshift. I thought it ran really strong for an auto...I found out today it really is quick. I raced a five speed 88 Lx-i from a stop in Gainsville, and won by a car length! This guy goes to school up there, and says he knows how to drive a stick. Just thought I'd share.
(BTW, the tranny fluid has been changed every thity thousand, and more recently switched over to Mobil 1.)

keruhas184
07-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Its good that your auto tranny is working out for you. But on our cars in particular the auto trannies usually suck: they break quite early.

If you like driving an auto, all the power to you. I have a manual and will never go back to an auto. I just like being in control of my car and not the other way around. Manual is just so much more fun... and usually gives you the edge when racing, if you know how to drive it. ;)

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Although I still prefer a manual myself, I can't disagree with you either. Our cars do run pretty good with an auto, for a 4 banger especially. They shift so fast, like all Honda autos do. My dads SE-i is auto and it still gets up and goes just fine. These trannies last a long ass time too, if the fluid is changed regularly. I'd drive either, but manual still takes preference (on almost any car)

Bloodlust
07-01-2004, 08:51 AM
I used to be all about auto. But now that Im learning to drive stick, Im kind of liking stick more cause its more involved and its just overall fun. I think ill always have my daily driver as an auto, but ill eventually get a second car thats stick to romp around in once in a while.

speedpenguin
07-01-2004, 10:13 AM
whatever works for you.
i prefer stick cuz i'm a control freak

SteveDX89
07-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Manual trannies rock.

SiR
07-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Manual trannies do rock, just when there is power for it. Its no fun when you floored the damn thing and the tach is taking its sweet time cuz no power or torque. But a high horsepower cars with a manual is incredible! But for Accords like these, Id choose auto anyday.

NeubJ
07-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Thats cool you can spin your tires on a auto 3g. What rpms do you stay at before you let go of the brake?

Auto 3g's suck a$$ for racing. Being beat by a 2004 kia rio till 70, having trouble with a geo prizm and metro. Now that is sad.

HostileJava
07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
What other mod's do u have? I'd like to see a video of you spinning the tires for 15ft. I feel my engine is in pretty decent shape and I've been beating up my tranny lately cause I'm doing my manual swap on Sat. And I can't spin the tires for 15ft doing an n drop. Not hating, just curious.

TheMagi
07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
That's the majority of the reason for the wheelspin, I'm sure. Oh, no powerbraking, just flooring it. Other mods are MSD Blaster 2 coil, Magnecor 8.5 wires, gutted cat, cat back, that's it.

Bloodlust
07-01-2004, 12:20 PM
That's the majority of the reason for the wheelspin, I'm sure. Oh, no powerbraking, just flooring it. Other mods are MSD Blaster 2 coil, Magnecor 8.5 wires, gutted cat, cat back, that's it.

Are you sure its not raining when ur doing this? :dunno:

pimp86LX
07-01-2004, 12:37 PM
mabe his tires are bald :kekeke:

88accordalltheway
07-01-2004, 12:55 PM
ive never got my tires to spin ever :( it sucks cause im afraid to do it and i dont want to mess my tranny up. Also, i dont know what the proper way to do it is(if there even is one) but i know that doing a N drop into D4 is really bad for the car.

Bloodlust
07-01-2004, 01:01 PM
ive never got my tires to spin ever :( it sucks cause im afraid to do it and i dont want to mess my tranny up. Also, i dont know what the proper way to do it is(if there even is one) but i know that doing a N drop into D4 is really bad for the car.

Dont worry Ive never spun my tires either. Im guessing if u put on ur brakes and rev up a little and then let off the brakes u might let off a little squeak. Someone correct me if im wrong. My auto tranny sucks and am getting a new one soon so my power has depleted drastically.

SteveDX89
07-01-2004, 01:07 PM
I've roasted my tires plenty of times before. :)

Bloodlust
07-01-2004, 01:09 PM

Well of course you have, you have a manual tranny. Quit bragging! :burn:

HostileJava
07-01-2004, 01:10 PM

Were talking about the a20 auto's *EDIT*. :rolleyes:

Edit: I was just informed by Steve that I hurt his feelings so I'm editing my post.

AccordEpicenter
07-01-2004, 02:01 PM
i liked my auto because the burnouts were smokier, once you got the tires spinning the tranny would shift into 2nd gear and itd smoke them like no other auto 4cyl fwd mostly stock n/a jap car there is. No such luck with the 5 speed... the clutch cant take the abuse of trying to do 2nd gear burnouts. Oh yea and launches are easier/more consistent with the auto. 5 speed is still more fun

MIK3
07-01-2004, 02:06 PM
And I can't spin the tires for 15ft doing an n drop. Not hating, just curious.

Hopefully you don't care about that tranny man...

Bloodlust
07-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Hopefully you don't care about that tranny man...

He doesnt. Im helping him convert to 5 speed this weekend. Its just kind of the last hurrah, hes doing all the things hes wanted to do to it since hes gotten it, knowing he has no concequences.

shepherd79
07-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Yea, I'm inviting some heat here, but check it out. I can spin the tires for about 15 feet, and spin them really good on the second upshift. I thought it ran really strong for an auto...I found out today it really is quick. I raced a five speed 88 Lx-i from a stop in Gainsville, and won by a car length! This guy goes to school up there, and says he knows how to drive a stick. Just thought I'd share.
(BTW, the tranny fluid has been changed every thity thousand, and more recently switched over to Mobil 1.)

if you think your tranny will stay like that long time with this kind of abuse, you are wrong my friend.
i can assure you that no tranny can hold up to that kind of abuse unless it is been build up.
Honda auto trannies were not designed to do burn outs.

MIK3
07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I was just about to warn him on his treatment towards his engine. And as for HostileJava, sorry about that, didn't know you were doing a 5-speed swap. Good luck with it man.

AccordEpicenter
07-01-2004, 08:11 PM
i thrashed my auto every day for for 40k miles ontop of the 80k miles the car had on it when i bought it and it never started to slip or screw up badly until i blew it, but i was brake torqing that mofo foot to the floor... excellent launches... bye bye tranny. I did change the atf regularly too

88accordhb
07-01-2004, 09:14 PM
manuels! :thumpsup: i had an auto, not as great as a manuel, but i'm not saying they suck. manuel's are overall more fun i guess, i like having better control of my rev line.

pixiesfan78
07-01-2004, 09:45 PM
i have quite a bit of control over the rev line if i really want even more control ill take off in 2nd 1st seems to rev alot higher when i do this all the way to 5500 rpms then when i hit my preffered rev mark wich is usually about56to 57k in second i shift up to third this one really nails it and i dont even have exaust yet she pulls well all the way to 6k but i shift up to d4 earlier then that. 3rd always changes a little before 6k if im gunnin it and we all know it dont have shit in 4th as far as tourqe. 3gee auto trannys are not like most autos ive driven at the shift point you get a nice boost where as most just shift and you can hardley feel it. 3g tranny litterally jumps into the next gear.while were on trannys i wanted to ask has anybody swapped an auto lude tranny into a 3gee or is it impossible?

accordlxi2.0
07-02-2004, 11:48 AM
hey neubj something's wrong with your 3g cause my lx dissed a ricer rio, it was too funny.
i don't know about yall but my auto was pretty damn good.
i n-dropped many time's, brake torqued, in the back while testing my new tire's i did damage to the rear parking lot at my job.
you could see the tread mark's, all the spinning and so forth, man it was fun, but felt so guilty .. . . . . . .

88accordhb
07-02-2004, 12:11 PM
yah that's one more thing bout autos, droping n-d. you peel out with sticks all day not have as much of a problem cept for the occasional clutch killing. i neutral droped in my old camry like 10 times and totally f'd up the tranny or something. now, in the camry when i back out and pulled down to drive, the car jerks like a butt.

accordlxi2.0
07-02-2004, 12:21 PM
hmm . . . . . one time i n-dropped i revved the engine, the dropped it and i put it in reverse by mistake, which shut off the engine, but everything was fine . . . . .

sporkHSP
07-02-2004, 12:35 PM
the auto is cool, but i drive FAR to agressively to keep it, im doing th manual swap becasue i dont feel like paying to fix this tranny and breaking it again... i can spin my tires too, my front tires are cheap, and acutally starting to spin even under normal driving conditions, at least on teh driverside tire...
ive spun my tires through full turns before, its cool, but i need a 5speed becasue of how i drive otherwise i would keep the auto... it shifts super fast, but it lacks the gearing to be what i need, and i dont like losing so much power from the torque converter...

NeubJ
07-02-2004, 01:00 PM
hey neubj something's wrong with your 3g cause my lx dissed a ricer rio, it was too funny.

Something is wrong with my 3g its a AUTO. LOL-It was probably the 2001-2003 Rio you spanked. (98hp)
My friend has a 2002 Rio 5-speed and I beat him all the time.

So I assumed I could easily beat the 2004. (thats what happens when you assume) Just shows how a good driver with a manual can make up for some hp and give you a good run.
Motor Trend listed it as a DOHC -105hp with a curb weight of 2242. (reminds you of the civic si as far as specifications go)

HostileJava
07-02-2004, 01:38 PM
i have quite a bit of control over the rev line if i really want even more control ill take off in 2nd 1st seems to rev alot higher when i do this all the way to 5500 rpms then when i hit my preffered rev mark wich is usually about56to 57k in second i shift up to third this one really nails it and i dont even have exaust yet she pulls well all the way to 6k but i shift up to d4 earlier then that. 3rd always changes a little before 6k if im gunnin it and we all know it dont have shit in 4th as far as tourqe. 3gee auto trannys are not like most autos ive driven at the shift point you get a nice boost where as most just shift and you can hardley feel it. 3g tranny litterally jumps into the next gear.while were on trannys i wanted to ask has anybody swapped an auto lude tranny into a 3gee or is it impossible?

I'll agree that it's quite easy to control ur shifts in the auto tranny using the shifter and the manifold pressure, however I do belive when u put it in 2nd u actually are starting out in 2nd gear(remember reading somthing about that in the owners manual) Yes the lude tranny fits in the 3g.

A20A1
07-02-2004, 05:18 PM
i can assure you that no tranny can hold up to that kind of abuse unless it is been build up.
Honda auto trannies were not designed to do burn outs.

Shep you know I've abused mine a lot more....

TheMagi,
Mobil1 ATF is a good choice.. I have mine mixed with some B&M trickshift
Check out the auto projects and cooling thread...
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32732
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31729

:cool:

pixiesfan78
07-02-2004, 11:18 PM
I'll agree that it's quite easy to control ur shifts in the auto tranny using the shifter and the manifold pressure, however I do belive when u put it in 2nd u actually are starting out in 2nd gear(remember reading somthing about that in the owners manual) Yes the lude tranny fits in the 3g. really? i swear i count 3 shifts maybe im retarded.if im in first thats one shift to second one to third and one to fourth yeah it shifts three times to get through 4 gears right? ive droped it down to second quite a few times and im pretty sure i always count three shifts. a20a1 will know. i think i would notice if it only shifted twice.break out your manual hostile read that thing off to us. youve got me curious :dunno:

A20A1
07-03-2004, 03:32 AM
yeah 2 is 2nd gear and it will just stay in 2nd...

2 uses 2
D3 uses 1, 2, 3
D4 uses 1, 2, 3, 4

Strugglebucket
07-03-2004, 03:39 AM
D4 uses 1,2,3,4,+wannabe 5th(torque lock differential)

shepherd79
07-03-2004, 03:48 AM
Shep you know I've abused mine a lot more....

TheMagi,
Mobil1 ATF is a good choice.. I have mine mixed with some B&M trickshift
Check out the auto projects and cooling thread...
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=32732
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=31729

:cool:

i know you do, but you have more cooling to keep the tranny cool. that is why your tranny still good.

A20A1
07-03-2004, 04:00 AM
LOL
wannabe 5th

Anyways you can manually controll the TV cable to get it to lock up... but it likes to disengage sometimes if you lay on the gas even with the TV cable stationary.
The TV lever must be a little below max so first you pull on the cable to max it out and hold it, then slowly let more slack into the cable untill the rpms drop and you feel the little bump.

Neuspeed87lx
07-04-2004, 09:04 AM
i used to beat the 3g with an auto .... n drops at 5000 and the tires wouldnt spin for shit..... i didnt like the auto at all .... they shift real hard.... i like 5spds much much more..... only times i wish i had an auto is when im stuck in traffic