PDA

View Full Version : Slow Windows No More!

HondaBoy
07-01-2004, 09:00 PM
well, i had some time yesterday and the day before after work to work on my car. so i decided i'd tackle my slow moving windows. they wouldnt roll down very fast, or roll up fast. my uncle told me a long while back to get some silicon spray for that. so i'd bought it a long time ago but never used it. so i took off my door panels and sprayed the tracks the window slides up and down on. they are the ones vertically mounted on either side of the windows edge. no the metal piece of the window. anyway, they are old, so its understandable. so i tried my right front window first. now its rolls up faster than the driver window. that was always the fastest. i got the 2 back ones too. didnt do the driver side window, but i probley will some time soon. the stuff i used is called Honda Pro silicon spray. got it at the dealership. has many other uses besides this. ok, so now my windows dont take forever to roll down or up. yea for me. now it wont look ghetto when i roll them up. lol. sometimes i'd have to help the window along pushing it up as i pressed the button for it to go up.

keruhas184
07-01-2004, 09:05 PM
haha, yeah our power windows suck. I have to give it more gas to help it a bit. Giving those windows some grease isn't a bad idea

dXsquared
07-01-2004, 09:17 PM
also... some spray on the rubbers on the sides of the windows will also speed it up...

Trvais

contraband
07-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Might try this, maybe it will work better than what I did, which was re-grease whatever part of the track I could get my hands on. Spray sounds WAY easier.

shepherd79
07-02-2004, 03:18 AM
how much did you pay for it?

Civvy
07-02-2004, 05:13 AM
Great idea, i tryed it on a civic i had years ago.

But, it developed the glass juddering

Next time i had the problem I said I would go to Honda and buy some more felt runners. but this mite not happen to everyone.

Mattphi
07-02-2004, 09:04 AM
yea man how much was the spray

k-roy
07-02-2004, 09:24 AM
you can get silocone spray anywhere for about 2 or 3 bucks.

NXRacer
07-02-2004, 10:06 AM
the only problem with spraying the tracks in the upper part of the door is that that stuff will end up making the window slow again after a while. The best way to solve th slow window problem is to clean the tracks with soap and water and just lubricate the mechanical part of the window inside the door.

smufguy
07-02-2004, 10:47 AM
the only problem with spraying the tracks in the upper part of the door is that that stuff will end up making the window slow again after a while. The best way to solve th slow window problem is to clean the tracks with soap and water and just lubricate the mechanical part of the window inside the door.

true. The grease or lube will just attract more dirt helping it to "clog' the tracks in the long run, not cool. tried it and regretted it. Best way is to lube the regulators good. I have to do my passenger side front window.

Also while at it, take the window switch on the driver door panel and clean the carbon deposits formed from arcing in the switch terminals to help the windows go up and down better without squeezing down on the switch. I have a bad problem with this, seems like i have to clean it out every 4 to 6 months.

AC439
07-02-2004, 04:29 PM
I fixed my slow right side passenger power window by manually jumping a wire directly from the driver side door switch to the passenger side switch. There is something wrong in the wiring hardness in between the doors (usually at the connectors). I believe the contacts have oxidized and made the connection there having more resistance. I can usually located the connectors fault but this one is well hidden behind the dash so I ended up jumping a wire to fix it. This is not my preferred fix but I just don't want to pull the dash off to fix the problem.

Slavic
07-02-2004, 04:55 PM
The best way to solve th slow window problem is to clean the tracks with soap and water and just lubricate the mechanical part of the window inside the door.

Best way is to lube the regulators good.

Assuming you are talking about the same thing I will second that.

Though I didn't apply any silicone to them I cleaned the tracks on the sides of the glass with stoner's invisible glass, which helped, but what made all the difference was greasing the metal sliders at the bottom of the glass as well as quoter round "gear" I guess it is called, that is moved by the motor and in turn moves the glass.

My window went from stopping three times by the top in order to fully close (the motor would cut out under too much strain then re start after a pause and repeat that process three times) to normal operation.

Justin86
07-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Yea I need to work on mine they have been getting slower and slower every day.

HondaBoy
07-03-2004, 05:08 PM
in this picture, the item listed with numbers 7 and 15 is what was causing my problems. the rear window is similar as that thing goes all the way around the glass. it'll get old dirty and dried out. i tell you what, those windows arent haveing any trouble going down or up any more. when i do get to getting the 3gee looking show quality, i'll be ordering new glass and stuff like that. that's a long ways off, but i'll order that track thing that goes around the glass.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_G18.gif

StillAHondaFreak
07-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Contra: Your turbo lude motor is clean as hell, good job bro!!!!!just out of curiosity, what did that lil project cost you???

Thanks, Tim