PDA

View Full Version : Dying Alternators

philth2
07-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Anyone else noticed that the alternators seem to burn out easily with a big wattage sound system?

Would it be worth it to try and mount a fan in there or some other kind of cooling system?

Or is that not the problem?

Just a thought, those alts aren't cheap.

Or would just a cap or something correct this?

ztron
07-02-2004, 10:04 PM
if you have a system, the only way around it is to replace your current alternator with a new one that has higher amperage. of course it's more expensive, but it's not going to die out like a regular stock one and should keep your system powered well. i've heard mixed stories about caps and i'm not sure what to believe. someone once told me that they are useless as the system is still going to draw the same amount of amperage from your alternator. i'm not sure how true that is as i haven't studied electronics in years. you can try a cap as it's cheaper and easier to install than a new alternator, but i don't think a fan would do anything at all.

Bigmaxxin
07-02-2004, 10:46 PM
get a bigger altenator, those caps are next to useless.

philth2
07-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Yea, i wrote that before changing it when i thought that it had no fans of it's own. and because of it's location it would get less cooling than anyother part. then i get looking and it has 2 fans already one on either end.

And as for higher amperage alts.... i can't find any for less than a fortune...