PDA

View Full Version : bad alt?

maka_RTH
07-03-2004, 12:25 PM
alright, i guess my 2dr started having charging problems a few months back, and my parents just left it alone, so now that i'm home i get to fix it. anyways, i checked it out, all the connections seem good, it's a new battery(well, a few months ago, but it had the problem after they got a new battery as well). anyways, the problem is that it charges intermittenly. i charged the battery last night, hooked it up today, and it was charging. then, i shut it off, started it again, and it wasn't. i checked the tension on the belt, and it seemed a little loose, so i tightened it up, and started it and it worked better, but when i revved it up a lot it stops working. then, i tried tapping the alt, and the idle dropped some and it started charging again. i did this a few times, and everytime the rpms go up, it stops charging, but if i hit the alt then it works again, after the idle drops a little bit. with a full load(lights on, rear defrost, fan, and stereo), i measured high 11's(volts), and as i turned each one off, the voltage picked up again. while everything was on, i revved it up to stop the alt from working, and the voltage dropped to low 11's, and with nothing on when the alt doesn't work it runs high 11's. anyways, sorry it's so long and i'll get to the point. as far as i can figure, the alt is going bad. if it sounds like something else, please let me know, i've never really worked with charging probs before. and, if it is out, what are some good high-output alternators i can get to replace it (for the stereo and stuff that's going in soon)? thanks in advance, and again sorry its so long.

Mac
07-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. You said that you tightened the belt and it seemed to work better. Look at the underside of the belt and see if it looks good. There is a slight chance that it could be worn, and it is slipping. You might want to take it an auto store and let them check the alt. When it is running it should put out over 13 volts.

accordlxi2.0
07-03-2004, 05:10 PM
maka rth, replace that alt.
with a full oad the volt's are supposed to be no lower than 13.50.
with my new alt with a full load went down to 14.00, but with out it was 14.50 and up.

maka_RTH
07-03-2004, 05:15 PM
yah, i've decided i need to replace it, but i want to get a high-output alt. i was thinking of mean green, since they're the only ones i know of. i was gonna call them monday or tuesday since its the 4th of july weekend.

accordlxi2.0
07-03-2004, 05:30 PM
hmmm if ya got efi just get a 4th gen alt.
only thing it upgrading the belt and mounting . . . . . . .

maka_RTH
07-03-2004, 05:39 PM
how do you do the mounting? and which belt?