PDA

View Full Version : Changed timing belt

mag_pbg
07-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Today me and my dad decided it was high time to change the timing belt. From start to finish it prob. took around a hour to take everythign off and put everything back on. The hardest part was the stupid crank pulley nut, we had tried a couple of weeks ago by putting a 1/2 inch socket on it zip tieing it to the shockes and cranking the motor over but all that did was brake the extender for the rachet. We ended up havig to barrow a impact gun and go at it for prob. 5 min. or so, thats how tight it was. But it was prob. worth it.

87accordlxph
07-04-2004, 04:39 AM
Yeah that crack pully can sure be a bitch to loosen.
I'm having a very hard time trying to take mine off to take off the cylinder head
cause I'm parting out a EFI Accord to do a Carb to EFI swap, but I guess I'm gonna keep on trying.

Glad to hear that you did the timing belt yourself w/ your dad, saved a lot on labor for sure.

-Mike from P-Town!

SteveDX89
07-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Today me and my dad decided it was high time to change the timing belt. From start to finish it prob. took around a hour to take everythign off and put everything back on. The hardest part was the stupid crank pulley nut, we had tried a couple of weeks ago by putting a 1/2 inch socket on it zip tieing it to the shockes and cranking the motor over but all that did was brake the extender for the rachet. We ended up havig to barrow a impact gun and go at it for prob. 5 min. or so, thats how tight it was. But it was prob. worth it.

All you did was tighten it more by doing that. The engine turn counter clockwise so it turns the bolt clockwise which tightens it. Good to hear you got it off. Mine was a bitch and I couldn't even get it off with an impact gun. I had to take it to the dealer.

smufguy
07-04-2004, 09:19 AM
All you did was tighten it more by doing that. The engine turn counter clockwise so it turns the bolt clockwise which tightens it. Good to hear you got it off. Mine was a bitch and I couldn't even get it off with an impact gun. I had to take it to the dealer.

i wonder how it will be when i try to take my motor apart before hauling it home :(

momo8517
07-05-2004, 05:31 PM
easy way to break crank pulley: put it in 1st and tow it backwards some!!!

thats also a good way to destroy something.

nswst8
07-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Air compressor and impact, spins it right off. :rockon:
Phil :cheers:

keruhas184
07-28-2004, 11:36 AM

87accordlxph
07-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Just broke 2 1/2" 30" and an 24" extension bars and bent the 18" trying to get that mofo of a bolt off that crank pully. :mad: :mad: :pc: DAMMIT!!!. I even put most of my weight on it and still didn't crack that bolt loose!!!
That 17mm bolt is still on there strong I'm sure.
I'd have to go with Phil on this one!

AIR FREEKIN POWER!!!!

I'm getting a compressor with a freekin high torque air impact gun to get this f@#$in thing off.

Arrrr, first time that I actually broke a tool or 2. :cool:
Proud of that. Hehehe I'm gonna get my money back from those cheap extensions. Don't buy forged steel tools, they bend then break.
Maybe go carbon steel like my 1" dia. 1 foot long cheater pipe.
Now that thing didn't even bend one bit.

Ok sorry for venting I gatta go lie down :burn:

Good luck!

-Mike from P-Town!

accordlxi2.0
07-28-2004, 02:30 PM
someone on the borad, i forgot, took the timing belt off by the camshaft, which is a good idea . . .

unc25
07-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Well timing belt and othe acces. belts and my leaking intake grommet hose thing will be fixed in the next week all for the total of $400 parts and labor.. yeah nice huh. :(

At least the bastard will be running right though!

BlueBead
07-30-2004, 02:27 PM
if you stick a long screwdriver in against the ring gears where you look at the timing marks and get someone to hold it in while you break the crank bolt loose it works pretty good. It should have around 80ft lbs or so torque on it. G'luck