PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain for the honda accord?

iron
07-03-2004, 11:49 PM
After reading the current posts about the dangers of broken timing belts, I find myself wondering if there's an after market mod available to switch it to a timing chain. (on the 87 lx/dx) I figure it's probably time to change my own considering everything else that has broken on the car since I bought it a year ago. Haven't found any mention of such online or in the forums here. Anyone run across this?

SteveDX89
07-04-2004, 05:19 AM
The pulleys are designed to only accept a belt. To run a chain, different pulleys would need to be used. It's easy to change, just make sure you do it at the recommended intervals.

smufguy
07-04-2004, 08:43 AM
its not easy to change from a belt to a chain set up. U have to be careful about the rotation per minute that is exact to the crank to cam ratio. Let alone u have to change the tensioner, the crank itself and cam gear to accept a chain belt. they are usually dual roller chains. Besides, they got racing belts such as toda and what not that can be adapted to our cars if possible. Some even try nissan and toyota belts. As long as the teeth count and hence belt length are exact, u got no problems.

johnwc723
07-04-2004, 10:12 AM
also in order to do a timing chain (which is a shit load louder than a timing belt also, why auto manufactures switched in the first place) you would have to find some way to seal the engine front end cover so it could have oil in it because the timing chain needs to be immersed in engine oil, also you would need to add some ports or something so that oil could be sprayed on it, so custom oil nozzles and a custom piece of metal to go where the timing belt cover goes in addition to new sprockets on everything, i woudl say all that in the end would be more likely to fail than just keepin the timing belt on and checking it once in awhile

iron
07-04-2004, 10:49 PM
also in order to do a timing chain (which is a shit load louder than a timing belt also, why auto manufactures switched in the first place) you would have to find some way to seal the engine front end cover so it could have oil in it because the timing chain needs to be immersed in engine oil, also you would need to add some ports or something so that oil could be sprayed on it, so custom oil nozzles and a custom piece of metal to go where the timing belt cover goes in addition to new sprockets on everything, i woudl say all that in the end would be more likely to fail than just keepin the timing belt on and checking it once in awhile

Good points, though to be honest I figured they switched because they were just cheap. :)

Vanilla Sky
07-05-2004, 07:52 AM
eh, the nissan 3.5 engines use a chain... i believe the 5.* in the titan/armada also uses a chain... i believe my dad's hardbody has a chain... just my $0.02

accordlxi2.0
07-05-2004, 12:23 PM
hmm even timing chains have problems.
like on the quad 4's.
they have to be replaced often, do to tensioner problems.
i say just get a stronger belt.

rideredorgohome
07-05-2004, 02:39 PM
After reading the current posts about the dangers of broken timing belts, I find myself wondering if there's an after market mod available to switch it to a timing chain. (on the 87 lx/dx) I figure it's probably time to change my own considering everything else that has broken on the car since I bought it a year ago. Haven't found any mention of such online or in the forums here. Anyone run across this?
I take it you have never seen what happens when a CHAIN breaks!!! Cracked cases that's what!!!!

k-roy
07-08-2004, 04:07 PM
If you want a timing chain you could always swap in a F22C :kekeke:

SteveDX89
07-08-2004, 04:42 PM
If you want a timing chain you could always swap in a F22C :kekeke:

or a K series

iron
07-08-2004, 11:17 PM
I take it you have never seen what happens when a CHAIN breaks!!! Cracked cases that's what!!!!

You are correct, I've seen a few friends with broken belts, but I've never seen a chain break, leading me to believe that chains are hardier than belts. Of course coming from a back ground of wrenching older ford engines I expect that I've got quite a bit to learn about my 4 cylinder. The whole transaxle concept still feels alien to me at this point.

smufguy
07-09-2004, 05:15 AM
You are correct, I've seen a few friends with broken belts, but I've never seen a chain break, leading me to believe that chains are hardier than belts. Of course coming from a back ground of wrenching older ford engines I expect that I've got quite a bit to learn about my 4 cylinder. The whole transaxle concept still feels alien to me at this point.

talkin about transaxles, take a look at the engines G20 and the second gen C27 (came in 2nd gen legend). THey are both honda engines, weird layout for a FWD. so yeah, now thats friggin alien hehehe.