PDA

View Full Version : Carb to EFI (Auto to 5speed)

87accordlxph
07-04-2004, 04:24 AM
Hi guys

In the process of parting out an 86 auto FI Accord EX-I because I'm gonna be doing a carb to EFI swap in my Carbed 5speed 87 Accord LX.
I know your probably thinking why did he buy an EFI auto for?
Well, just because this one is fully loaded and I bought it for $200 Cnd w/ no problems and yes, I do want to keep my 5speed.

Ok so my question is, because I did buy this 86 auto EFI Accord what parts must I buy/trade to limit complications of this future swap.

It's a good thing that I matched up the years (86-87) but I did buy an auto so does that mean that I need a 5speed ECU (86-87), 5speed EFI throttle cable, 5speed EFI Vacuum Control Box, 5speed Wire Harness??? (I really want to keep this one because I need to power up the toys! :) )

If anyone knows what might happen please let me know before it's too late and I screw up my nice carbed 3gee. :sadwave: (knock on wood)

Thanks a lot guys!

-Mike from P-Town

SteveDX89
07-04-2004, 05:08 AM
You need the 5 speed ECU. The throttle cable and vacuum box are the same on both. You can use the harness from the auto. If you have more questions about this, you can PM me or catch me on AIM cause I did the exact same thing. My car was a 5 speed carb and my parts car was an LX-i auto and everything came out great. Car runs fine.

smufguy
07-04-2004, 08:36 AM
IMO, i would say part out everything if u can and get the efi parts off a 88-89 efi.

The only things u can keep if ur going the route like what i mentioned are the

1. Fuel tank
2. Fuel feed line
3. Fuel filter

You will defenitely make a lil more power using the 88-89 dual stage intake manifold and what not. So yeah, U will be alright, if u feel it easier, do it with the parts u got at hand.

Like steve said the throttle cable and wiring harness can be used, but little modification needs to be done to fix the reverse light on ur 5spd by using the auto wiries.

CHeck out my website for a full write of the efi conversion from a carb. U can also check carotmans write up in the HOw-to.