PDA

View Full Version : Need help ASAP :)

3L_951
07-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,

I picked up an 87 Honda Accord LX 5 speed cheap to use as my commuter car while I rebuild my Mitusbishi Starion (and since I sold my 951) and I was driving it home from CT where I bought it when I came across a few problems. Biggest one would be that the car doenst run anymore :uh: I believe it is a fuel delivery problem!

First, when I picked it up I was getting famaliar with the clutch and the gears and I noticed you can get let this car roll with clutch and no gas, is that normal?

Second, every now and then I would be cruising and the car would lose power and began to stall/buck/ etc unless I put the clutch in and rev'ed it a bit, then about 60% of the time it would help it, the other 40% of the time the car would stall and I would have to restart it. It began getting worse and worse and I was only 1 hour from home so I decided to risk it. Well, the car began bucking HARD and died on the side of I-84 4 miles outside of Danbury...When I pulled off the air cleaner cover and sprayed starter fluiid or dripped gas down the carb, it would start and run fine, but as soon as it used that up it would stall again. Does this sound like a carb problem? I am HOPING it is just old crappy fuel filters (thank god there are only TWO!!) or maybe the fuel pump went south? What do you guys think??

Last problem, when it died the last time, I noticed an oil spot...it blew probably 3/4 of a quart out of the engine somewhere, but didnt leak a SPOT from when I picked it up, from all the stops I made (plenty of em) until that final spot, and it didnt leak any further the next day ( I left it there and just got it towed hte next day with $200 I didnt have :( ) I made a dumb guess and said maybe since the car was running like crap (previous owner told me he replaced the carbs because the old one was done) it killed the catalyic converters and now they are clogged, causing too much crank pressure...this happened on my old Toyota Landcruiser (85 FJ60) and gutting the cats solved that problem. Sound right?

Thnks for the help
mike

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 04:54 PM
ummm yea that bucking was either your fuel pump going out or fuel filter.
no i'm gonna have to say fuel pump.
cause if you have to use starter fluid then thier's a problem.

1ST check the float bowl.
it on the driver side of the carb, it should be with-in the middle.
or just turn the ignition in the ON position to hear the fuel pump turn on for 2 second's, if you don't then that's more than likely your problem.

3L_951
07-06-2004, 05:12 PM
Damnit..I dont have enough money for a fuel pump and it has to be out of there by friday or I begin the $65/day storage fee...

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 05:18 PM
for a fuel pump at auto zone should be no more than $60, or the bone yard $30 . . . .what about that??????

3L_951
07-06-2004, 05:31 PM
I'll see what I've got..my mother took my last $55, so I'll have to try and get it back...

Is it an electical or mechanical pump? What do I ask for at autozone? Is there any way I can baby it back home w/o replacin it? I know, probably not ;)

Thanks
mike

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 05:38 PM
if it start's up, try to drive it but keep the rpm's under 2,200.
cause this happened to me.
the funny thing is when i raced a astro van who tried to pass me, i figured this is easy, but i took off, it did feel right.
then 2 day's later i could'nt go past 40mph or 2,500rpm's.
then once i got home it shut off on me and never started.

when you go to auto zone. or call first, if you have a murray's in your area try them too
tell them you wanna purchase a fuel pump for a 1987 honda accord carburator.
oh and our fuel pump's are electronic . . . . . . .

3L_951
07-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Alright, I'll see if it will start up when I go down there..hopefully theres an autozone around that place!!! Think it would be a good idea to replace the filters at the same time?

thnk
mike

3L_951
07-06-2004, 05:57 PM
K, one last question..sorry!!

Is there an access door for the fuel pump or will I have to drop the tank to do it?

Simple 2 lines and wires and I'm done? Reason I ask is cause my 280ZX and Landcruiser were simple as pie to do, whereas the 951 and Starion I had to drop the tank

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 06:06 PM
oh this will be easy compared t o other car's.
just take the caperting from the trunk and the plastic thingy, the are 2 meatl lid's, on the driverside is the fuel pump.
take it off, then the pump is held on by 10-14 screw's.
spary some wd on first.
then once you get it out, it's gonna take some manuvering, to get it out.
i hope it start's.

3L_951
07-06-2004, 06:37 PM
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=MST&MfrPartNumber=E8371&PartType=52&PTSet=A

$65 - Ouch :(

or

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=CTR&MfrPartNumber=P60504&PartType=52&PTSet=A
$60 ...

they the same or should I spend the splurge the extra $5 (if I can afford the pump at all!!!)

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 06:39 PM
does'nt matter it's to at least get your car up and running for now right, and until you get the money . . . . .
hey!!!!
you don't need that thing that attacted to the pump, just call autozone, it should be cheaper, i said $65 cause of the pump bran and stuff . . . . . .

3L_951
07-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the help :)

anymore opinions? (I mean no insult towards you, I just have a habit of getting as many opinions as possible)

Mike

accordlxi2.0
07-07-2004, 08:20 AM
no problem jus let me know what happen's with your ride. . . .

andresinibus
07-08-2004, 07:10 AM
can he put one of those universal fuel pumps (like $20) just to get it out of there and then later on replace the fuel pump with the original one. i mean its a carburator its not like if he neds to maintain the presure like with the FI. I used to have a camaro (2.8 V6 with carb) with one of those pumps and it always worked fine till the day i totaled it. just make sure you put it near the gas tank because those are push pumps not pull. :welcome:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-08-2004, 08:48 AM
It would be possible to put a universal pump in if you could find a way to suck the fuel in from the tank. Since our cars have in-tank pumps, there are no built in pickup tubes. Therefore you can either try and use the old pump as a pickup for the fuel, or rig some way of pulling fuel from the tank. Just my $.02

iron
07-08-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm a newbie to this type of car as well, but you might want to check out the vac lines. My 87 lx 5sp was doing the same type of thing, bucking and stuttering like someone new to clutch was driving it. Reving the engine while out of gear would aleviate the problem for a while. K-roy suggested checking the vac lines, fuel filters etc before changing fuel pump or doing a carb rebuild (as suggested by my local mechanic) I found quite a few leaks in the lines behind the carb and that seems to be the problem.

Here's the thread
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=35755

Good luck
Iron

3L_951
07-09-2004, 07:21 AM
I'm a newbie to this type of car as well, but you might want to check out the vac lines. My 87 lx 5sp was doing the same type of thing, bucking and stuttering like someone new to clutch was driving it. Reving the engine while out of gear would aleviate the problem for a while. K-roy suggested checking the vac lines, fuel filters etc before changing fuel pump or doing a carb rebuild (as suggested by my local mechanic) I found quite a few leaks in the lines behind the carb and that seems to be the problem.

Here's the thread
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=35755

Good luck
Iron

Hey- I think I will try that! I just really hope thats it because I only have $35 to my name right now and everywhere around here wants $65 for a fuel pump. EVERYWHERE! The freakin salvage yards want $50 for it..does that make ANY sense?!

Is there anywhere I can get a vac line diagram?

thanks
mike

3L_951
07-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Oh and today is the deadline to pick up my car from the towing company (an hour away :() or it becomes ~$50 a day for storage...

accordlxi2.0
07-09-2004, 07:24 AM
WHAT?! i have a efi fuel pump, for my efi conversion and i paid $30 for it.
man i would help ya but i'm in a cast . . . . . .
i say go to one of those pic-n-pull. get it yourself . . .

3L_951
07-09-2004, 07:28 AM
WHAT?! i have a efi fuel pump, for my efi conversion and i paid $30 for it.
man i would help ya but i'm in a cast . . . . . .
i say go to one of those pic-n-pull. get it yourself . . .

Called up every junkyard..only one (25 miles NORTH when I have to go 60 miles SOUTH today to get my car) has an 86-89 Accord..and they want $50 for it because "we have to drop the tank..destroy the sender and throw it all out because YOU want a fuel pump..$50" I say.."theres an access panel..I can pull it out my self and not damage anything else...and a brand new fuel pump is $65" and he hung up

accordlxi2.0
07-09-2004, 07:40 AM
dude no you don't!
don't fall for shit like that.
they either don't know what they're talking about, or they're trying to rip you off.
you should've asked if you can get it yourself . . . . . .
you know what one of the guy's here is parting out a lx, you could probaly get the pump cheap from him . . . . . . .

iron
07-09-2004, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=3L_951 Is there anywhere I can get a vac line diagram?
thanks
mike[/QUOTE]

Well I've got a pic I snapped from the one under my hood, it's not the best but it did help me out a bit.

http://web.bvunet.net/~iron/Vac.jpg

3L_951
07-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Holy shit.

I thought my conquest was bad with 37 feet of line

andresinibus
07-09-2004, 12:11 PM
did you get your car to work