PDA

View Full Version : trouble with 90 Accord

mag_pbg
07-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Hi, a freind of mine has a 1990 Honda Accord, and I was hoping I could get some help so I can fix it for her. THe prob. is that when ever you turn the key it just cranks and cranks without acually turning over, so she took it to a mechanic and they cleaned her injectors for her and the trouble stopped, but today when she was leaving work it did the same thing, wouldn't start wouldn't start and then she finally had to pump the gas a couple of times before it would start. So im thinking it is either bad plugs she hasn't changed them in who knows how long, a clogged fuel filter, or maybe a bad fuel pump.to me it sounds like it just ins't gettig any gas, but she is never home for me to check if there is any spark going on. So what do you guys think

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 06:43 PM
no engine code's??
the 4th gen has a code for the fuel circuit.

mag_pbg
07-06-2004, 06:49 PM
sorry I don't have it, I really havn't gone reall indepth with it since she is never home and the only time I see her is when we are at work

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 06:51 PM
hmm i say do a major tune-up, plus, wire,cap, rotor,alot of fuel injector cleaner about 2 bottles . . .

mag_pbg
07-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Thats what I told her a tune up, and she's like well I will just go to a different mechanic, hell I will do it for free!

accordlxi2.0
07-06-2004, 07:02 PM
so i guess she rather go somewhere when they charge her some more money, than have you do it for free . . . . . . . . .

mag_pbg
07-06-2004, 07:09 PM
ya pretty much, well she just doesn't want to mess around with it, even though if I could find it what was wrong with it I could have it fixed in prob. less then a day and for kre than half the cost of a mechanics shop. But I will see if she has a code tomorow, and then when I get off work I will get on and give it to you.

AccordEpicenter
07-06-2004, 08:25 PM
before you go ANY FURTHER... I STRONGLY suggest swapping main relays or getting a new one, 90-93 accords will get VERY tempermental and are known to have main relays eventually go bad.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-07-2004, 07:04 AM
just change the fuel filter and dump some B12 in the gas tank. if any more problems happen i say check the fuel pressure.

and i really doubt it is a relay, it could be it but usually when those go out the fuel is completely shut off. i have a 93 toyota truck that a 15amp fuse went out under the dash, i didnt think anything of it and spent $50 bucks on a new fuel pump relay (fucking Toyota parts) and the tuck still wouldnt start. so i found the damn 10 cent fuse that was blown and started right up. lol, damn i was so pissed.

also ignition could have alot to do with it, corroded cap and rotor. could be alot of things, you just gotta start at the top of the list and go down.

smufguy
07-07-2004, 06:10 PM
There are two things wrong with the 4th gen accord and here they are.

1) STupid Ignitor
2) God damn Main relay

Here is the remedy

1) Ignitor. U need to get the whole set and swap it out cause the ignitor is built into the distributor kinda. There is no external coil.

2) Main relay: Just like the 3rd gen, pull out the relay and carefully solder the terminals on the bottom and take care not to mistakenly jump two terminals with the solder while soldering.

3) Pull the spark plug boot on the #4 and #3 cylinder and see if there is any oil. These stupid valve covers tend to leak at #3 and #4 for god knows why. IF thats the case, u need to get the Whole valve gasket kit, with the gasket, O rings for the Spark plug holes and the rubber gormet for the valve bolts (Opt, comes with kit). its about $30 from autozone.

4) the plugs might be at fault and they are just going bad.

5) INjector resistor box: Swap it out with another one and see if they work, sometimes the resistor boxes do go bad on the 4g and causes starting and running hesitations

6) Fuel filter, and some cleaner should be all good to go. If worse comes to worse, check the filter screen on the pump itself to find out how the tank is.

mag_pbg
07-07-2004, 10:38 PM
thanx alot smufguy, I will get ahold of her and try these things out!

smufguy
07-08-2004, 06:24 AM
thanx alot smufguy, I will get ahold of her and try these things out!

not a problem, working on a chick's car is always fun :)

AccordEpicenter
07-08-2004, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE1) STupid Ignitor
2) God damn Main relay[/QUOTE]

Yeah those are big... if its an ignitor the car will die and NEVER START UP AGAIN without replacing it, but the main relay gets tempermental and gay and wont work all the time (read: when you need it). In 90-91 the coil is inside the distributor, but on 92-93 the coil is external, but the internal coils tend to go bad also... especially if the plugs are under oil like smurf is saying. If a resistor box goes bad the car will either not run at all or only run on a few cylinders with a dead miss (or miss's). Id bet is a main relay at this point, its soo common and itll give you the symptoms you are describing.