PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on struts and where to get 'em

RedneckRicer
07-06-2004, 07:04 PM
I lowered my car sunday with springs ( matrix, 2.5 front 2.25 rear ) and i know i should've bought struts in advance but i'm gonna do it this weekend when i get paid, and i'm trying to decide which ones, i was going to buy tokico's but after reading i guess they aren't stiff enough to handle a car as low as mine ( really isn't all that low though, haha ) so where can i get the best deal on koni's ? or is there another strut i can look at and not have to give an arm and a leg for?

maka_RTH
07-06-2004, 10:04 PM
i think you'd pretty much have to go with the bilstiens revalved, costs about $690 including shipping. the koni's are discontinued and very hard to find, if you can find them at all. i don't know about tokicos, someone else would have to answer about those.

RedneckRicer
07-07-2004, 12:28 AM
i remembered reading on here about some strut being discontinued but i was really hoping it wasn't that one, lol. anyways, for what i'm looking to spend i think i'll be going with tokicos, the matrix springs really aren't all that stiff compared to the 1" drop springs i had in the car before. it doesn't bounce around or anything like that, so hopefully they'll last awhile!

Busted_Blue
07-07-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure what the spring rates on your MATRIX springs are, but I'm pretty sure it isnt really soft like Neuspeeds. I suggest the revalved bilstiens when you look up the spring rates to match it like real coilovers. I notice the bounce on my car with tokico 1inch springs and the tokico blues. i'm just wondering if i should spend more money on the suspension. you get what you pay for man. I notice the bounce in my 1inch drop. I dont have a high tolerance for bounce.

RedneckRicer
07-07-2004, 09:39 PM
there is a bit more bounce with the matrix springs than what i had with the 1" drop, but its still nowhere near as bad as some cars i've ridden in, but all in all its not very bad. at least not near as bad as some cars i've taken a ride in. hopefully the tokicos will take some of that away, but all in all it still rides fairly nice even with stock struts ( though i know they need to be upgraded badly )

Busted_Blue
07-07-2004, 09:45 PM
just keep in mind.. tokico is 15% stiffer than stock i believe. No where near koni or revalved bilstien stiffness but better than KYB GR2s. :D

RedneckRicer
07-09-2004, 09:04 PM
how well do the tokico's ride on a stock springs?

Busted_Blue
07-10-2004, 07:53 AM
tokico rides well with stock springs and thats pretty much it. I guess its tolerable for some people with the Neuspeed springs and Tokico Springs. Each person has a different opinion of "well" riding. For sure with stock springs, tokico thumbs up!

od2681
07-10-2004, 08:00 AM
i have a 2inch drop and i have tokicos....works fine
but yeah ur drop is kinda low...cuzz i read on the warranty card that it should be around 1.5 or somethin..im pushin it with 2

RedneckRicer
07-10-2004, 06:36 PM
what kinda ride do the revalved bilsteins have? are they stiff as hell? and what would happen with the tokico's since i have more of a drop than they suggest?

bullard123
07-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Man seems like there aren't to many options we have trying to find good shocks/struts at a reasonable price. Does anyone know if we can use shocks/struts from another car??

Busted_Blue
07-10-2004, 11:27 PM
I remember reading able to use Accord 90-93 springs? I dunno about struts though...im thinking no since the strut studs are probably spaced differently.

RedneckRicer
07-11-2004, 09:44 AM
i remember reading that you can use the i think 90-97 accord coil overs as long as they're a sleeved design, so they must have about the same diameter of our struts, but what if you could put the stud plate from the top of the our strut on them?