PDA

View Full Version : Metal grinding sound when starting car?!?

Chrome_thangs
07-21-2002, 01:17 AM
I've noticed sometimes when i start my car there's a metal grinding sound along w/ the normal engine starting sound. Is it my start or something i just had the thing replaced about a month ago.

offthahook
07-21-2002, 06:25 AM
This does not sound good. A lot of GM cars do this, but I've never ever heard a Honda do it. Sounds like the starter gear is hitting the flywheel (metal on metal) and not engaging properly. GM's ghey solution is the use of shims. However, we at Honda are precision fit guys and don't play that. I would take it back and make sure the right starter was installed (not sure if trim line or tranny type matters...). If it is the starter hitting the flywheel wrong, you may need a new flywheel (or a ring gear) and starter!! That is HELLA expensive and I hope the shop would pick it up. Do this fast cuz the more it hits wrong, the more teeth you're wearing.
Or it could be the starter just sticking a little bit and not disengaging. Hit up the shop; sounds like a starter issue.

Dutchboy
07-21-2002, 08:33 PM
Mabye it wasnt tightened all the way and then it isnt able to catch the gears quite right....
QUick check is locate the starter and wiggle it by hand to see if it is loose..
otherwise it is somethjing else....whether it is the wrong starter or the starter it self.

sam_dd
12-03-2014, 09:44 AM
I know it's maybe too late but we never know :
I also had a noise like that but for me it was just the silent bloc of the exhaust that needed to be replaced. The muffler use to hit something when I start the engine. That not the case anymore.