PDA

View Full Version : Help !!!!!!

steve-024
07-07-2004, 01:37 PM
my engine is reaching its hottest temperatures lately and has been acting up , today i gto home from doing some errands and the rad fluid was bubbling and you could see steam coming from it , the radiator lines from the rad cap were boiling hot and my engine oil light is coming on all the time now , does anyone know what is wrong , PLEASE HELP ME !

slowazz86carb
07-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Have you ever had the rad checked.Flushed.does it have water?I flush mine once a year.never had any probs.thank god.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Read THIS (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?p=425201#post425201) thread

accordlxi2.0
07-07-2004, 02:28 PM
well hopefully sice the car overheated it probaly burned out the sensor . . . .

Mac
07-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Check your thermostat. It sounds like it might not be opening up.
Oil light: have you check the oil level?

smufguy
07-07-2004, 05:59 PM
my engine is reaching its hottest temperatures lately and has been acting up , today i gto home from doing some errands and the rad fluid was bubbling and you could see steam coming from it , the radiator lines from the rad cap were boiling hot and my engine oil light is coming on all the time now , does anyone know what is wrong , PLEASE HELP ME !

like said above, ur car might have the following problems

1) Stuck closed thermostat (get a new one from pep boys its about $5 and also get a gasket from Honda, its about $3 for the housing, its the outlet gasket)

2) Radiator is clooged (probably the radiator is too old or rusted out that its not flowing good enough, touch the bottom of the radiator hose and see if its hot).

3) Faulty Thermoswitch (Bottom of the radiator, there is a green sensor that closes the circuit when the coolant temp reaches a lil above operating temp and clicks on the fan. Pull the connector out and jump the clip by using a small wire and see if the fans come on, they will if they dont go to #4. Drive around with the fan constantly on and see if it overheats).

4) Faulty Fan Relay (In the engine bay fuse box there is a black relay that looks just like the pwr window relay, swap them and see if the fans work)

5) Broken belt (This might be a long shot, but worth a try. See if ur alternator belt is loose. IF the belt is loose or not there, get a new one and put in asap. This alt belt drives the water pump too)

6) Faulty Water pump (well now that just sucks, new one but shit is hard to replace so have fun. U better pray this is not it :) )

Oil warning light? U sure its the oil light that comes on? check the level with the engine off and on a level ground.

steve-024
07-07-2004, 11:37 PM
well talked to the mechanic and he said it may be a cracked head gasket or it needs a flush , and yes the oil light was coming on and i topped off the oil , we opened up the cap and the stuff in there was liek a brown sludge that reaked liek S%^* im thinking and crossing my fingers that it is only a flush needed to be done and a new thermostat at the most
WISH ME LUCK !!

Vinny
07-08-2004, 04:42 AM
If the oil is a milky brown then you have a bigger problem then just needing a flush. If thats the case you are leaking coolant into the block, all be it from the head, head gasket or the like. Sorry to say this, but your luck may have just run out

HostileJava
07-08-2004, 05:38 AM
If the oil is a milky brown then you have a bigger problem then just needing a flush. If thats the case you are leaking coolant into the block, all be it from the head, head gasket or the like. Sorry to say this, but your luck may have just run out

Yep, Vinny's the man, and I was thinking the same thing he just posted when I read your above post. Sorry man, I hope it's not that bad.

smufguy
07-08-2004, 06:26 AM
yep, when he said brown sludge i was like oh shit. NO wonder ur oil light was commin on. i think the time duration of the overheat was just too much that the gasket blew.

HOw is the exhaust smoke? under cold start and idle rev (like revin in park or neutral).

steve-024
07-08-2004, 10:33 AM

steve-024
07-08-2004, 10:36 AM
no not my oil , the rad fluid is brown sludge , my oil is fine , just a little low and theres no trace of rad fluid in my oil at all

accordlxi2.0
07-08-2004, 10:43 AM
maybe the tranny cooler busted inside the rad and leak, which might've caused that sludge.

Vinny
07-08-2004, 10:48 AM
and yes the oil light was coming on and i topped off the oil , we opened up the cap and the stuff in there was liek a brown sludge that reaked liek S%^*
no not my oil , the rad fluid is brown sludge , my oil is fine , just a little low and theres no trace of rad fluid in my oil at all

Well thats the way it read. Hopefully its something simple.
Check the simple things first.
1. Make sure your fan is comming on when the temperature rises up above the normal indication on the gauge.

2. Check to make sure the thermostats opening by feeling the hose when it starts getting hot.

3. As preventative maintenance combined with trying to solve the overheating problem I would suggest changing the thermostat and the radiator car as well FIRST. Faulty thermostats cause the majority of overheating problem, but faulty caps are a close second. Pressurized systems dont wrok very well with caps that no longer hold the right pressure.

4.Take it to someplace that can pressure check the system, its quick and easy and will let you know if you DO have a bad head gasket.

5.Drain the radiator and fill it with the proper mixture of coolant and water,

Its kinda hard to get a really good flush on our cars for some reason.
Once the cast block gets rusty it hard to get it all out. I tried 2 or 3 cans of prestone super flush and a prestone flush kit before I just gave up and replaced my radiator and called it a day. The car has not ran even remotely hot ever since. As a matter of fact my fans rarely even kick on now, even when its over 100 out.

steve-024
07-08-2004, 01:47 PM
hey guys , thanx for all the help , i cant tell you how much it has helped , we just picked up a flush system and soem antifreeze from canadian tire and from cheiftan auto parts and hopefully it does the job
Thanxs guys

steve-024
07-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Bump

steve-024
07-10-2004, 10:59 AM
well guys , turns out we went to great canadian oil and direct automotive in town and they both said that oil is getting into the rad which is a blown head gasket . meaning i have to fork out about 500 $ to fix this shit . F'ing piss off !!!#$$^%&

accordlxi2.0
07-10-2004, 11:23 AM
hmm $500 for labor and everything?
seem's resonable.
i mean the heads are gonna have to be machined, which is the reason why it cost that much, and labor.
you could do it yourself, right?

steve-024
07-10-2004, 02:38 PM
no i cant do it myself , i dont have any of the toolds needed at all , my mechanic just lives across the street so its pretty much the same thing anyways . THANK GOD FOR MECHANICS !!!!

accordlxi2.0
07-10-2004, 06:17 PM
sorry man, i hope i did'nt offend you.

steve-024
07-10-2004, 06:55 PM
haha no man its all good , i think it just sounded bad how i said it :P

steve-024
07-16-2004, 03:02 PM
well guys i got my head gasket fized, got it flushed and all the stuff is gone , only a few little deposits but its almost inpossible to clean them out perfect without new rad and lines and everything else . only dented me about 300 $ including a flush and getting the head gasket replaced !!!! now shes back in my hands

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 03:14 PM
congrat's man!
$300 for everything?

andresinibus
07-16-2004, 04:10 PM
excellent
" Mr. Burns"

steve-024
07-16-2004, 06:19 PM
ya 300 for everything , shop labour and all !!

steve-024
07-22-2004, 12:43 AM
guys it started doing it again tonight even after i replaced the head gasket and flushed the whole system out !!!! this time it got really warm and there was actual steam coming from the hood :| can someone really help me out i dont wanna give this baby away !!!!!!

smufguy
07-22-2004, 06:29 AM
well then check ur waterpump and see if its in good shape, its not leaking from its hole right? cause it leaks from the hole if the pump dies.

Check the thermostat and try to run the fan continueously, Just jump the wire and see if it helps.

steve-024
07-22-2004, 12:15 PM
man i changed the thermostat and everything , fail safe and it still over heated bad last night , wake up this morning and to m,y knowledge theres antifreeze in my oil cap on the valve cover and low on oil and my antifreeze is still little bit think with like what seems to be water on top of the rad . i think i blew the bottom end of the vehicle ????

AccordAddict
07-22-2004, 12:24 PM
so what caused the blown headgasket??????????

steve-024
07-22-2004, 12:28 PM
there was oil in my antifreeze before which cause the blown head gasket , we had it all replace tho and now the opposite of that is happening

88accordalltheway
07-22-2004, 12:52 PM
wow man that sucks, like vinny said, your luck just went bye bye. Sorry to hear that its acting up for a second time.

steve-024
07-22-2004, 01:02 PM
so what do you guys think it is blown bottom end ? . if its doen does anyone kno where i can find an engine to put in my car with a 5 speed swap preferably ?

accordlxi2.0
07-22-2004, 01:08 PM
i don't know what to say but, did you see them work on the car, if you blew the bottom end, i belive you would'nt be able to drive it.
i say take it back and tell those guy's they did a fucked up job on your car . . .
then see what happens from there. .

steve-024
07-22-2004, 01:18 PM
no i think i just blew the bottom end , it happened to my friend , he had antifreeze in his oil but he also had gas in his rad which blew the bottom end of the vehicle . my mechanic only changed the head gasket and great canadian oil change flushed out the system . and now it over heated again after all that work and a new thermostat !! it also seems like theres water in the rad ????

steve-024
07-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Bump

accordlxi2.0
07-22-2004, 06:53 PM
hey maybe you can throw in a engine from a prelude or teg, that'll be sweet!

steve-024
07-22-2004, 09:05 PM
thats what its comign down to but i need alot of help in knowing everything else that has to be done, i want to change to a 5 speed as well ? think u could help me out accordlxi2.0 ? id be so much help for me

smufguy
07-22-2004, 09:31 PM
since ur a carb and need to get this car fixed, i would say just find another motor/tranny either a A20A1 or a A20A3 and swap it in. Manual tranny swap needs a lot more parts than just this so u better have the money and the knowledge of changing it.

The how-to section has both Manual tranny swap information and the engine swap info.

steve-024
07-22-2004, 10:53 PM
well if u hear of any lude or integra engines that are with 5 speed swap id really be intrested , please get ahold of me anyone who needs to get rid of an engine

accordlxi2.0
07-23-2004, 06:32 AM
try the 3rd gen related, their's alway's someone who's selling engine's but smufguy's right. i forgot your a carb, so your gonna need a lot of stuff, and since you wanna chage to a 5spd, dude this is gonna take awhile and a lot of money.

steve-024
07-24-2004, 12:07 AM
i may just get a new rebuilt engine and get the 5 speed swap , but the same a20a1 engine ?