PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Maaco with an esimate

Micah 89LXi
07-07-2004, 08:51 PM
its gonna be $1227 for the whole car color change new hood door jambs trunk hood everything all body work. The color i kinda decided on is fire pepper red metallic..it happens to be a honda color..what do you guys think of this colour...it doesnt seem very popular..(which can be a good thing) cause i do like to stand out...but i was just wondering about everyone thoughts....i could do electron blue pearl also for same price..but i have a burgundy interior...so it wouldnt really go with it at all..there are a couple other shades of blue and red also...but i can have it painted pretty much any colour any of the car companies make....so i need suggestions...and if anyone has any pics or knows a site where i can see pics of a car this colour let me know...thanks everyone

Micah

86LXItooFAST4me
07-08-2004, 05:24 AM
show us some pics of the colors

HostileJava
07-08-2004, 05:30 AM
show us some pics of the colors

It's tough to do that online since everyones camera/scanner/monitor is calibrated slightly different so no one will see the same color when they look at it.

PortugalFocus
07-08-2004, 05:46 AM
...it happens to be a honda color..what do you guys think of this colour...it doesnt seem very popular..

What cars was it availible on and what years? if it's a Honda color I'm sure some Accord or Civic is painted that shade red.

NXRacer
07-08-2004, 07:40 AM
you'll kick yourself for have a $1200 paint job done at Maaco. You only get your car painted there if you're fixing to sell it soon. If you have that much money to spend on a paint job, save up a few hundred more and you could have it done the right way at a good shop.

Micah 89LXi
07-08-2004, 09:00 AM
it was/is available on the 2003 and up acura tl and RSX

Micah 89LXi
07-08-2004, 09:20 AM
$1100 is for a new hood and all the body work done too...i took a look at the other work they did and i was pretty pleased...i hear horror stories..but thats with the lowest level paint services...mines gonna be gloss clearcoat metallic...it should look good
http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/Acura-RSX/Acura-RSX-028.jpg
thats the colour in lower light
http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/Acura-RSX/Acura-RSX-010.jpg
thats the colour in sunlight

NXRacer
07-08-2004, 09:45 AM
linky's no worky

adams86lxi
07-08-2004, 10:52 AM
$1100 is for a new hood and all the body work done too...i took a look at the other work they did and i was pretty pleased...i hear horror stories..but thats with the lowest level paint services...mines gonna be gloss clearcoat metallic...it should look good
http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/Acura-RSX/Acura-RSX-028.jpg
thats the colour in lower light
http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/Acura-RSX/Acura-RSX-010.jpg
thats the colour in sunlight

i like that color looks good! I think you should go with that!

Vinny
07-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Maaco is a "get what you pay for" kinda deal. Even their "higher" quality jobs are not going to last as long as a seperate base coat clear coat paint using QUALITY paint and doing QUALITY prep work. The last place I checked with here quoted my 300 bucks material costs alone for just the primer. The entire job is going to run about $3500. Prep work is what makes or breaks a paint job and MAACO doesnt do even remotely decent prep work. There paint jobs will look good for a few years but will not stand up to the test of time like a Quality job will.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-08-2004, 11:48 AM
man i like both of those colors, i was actually contimplating on a red, blue, or gun metal gray

slowazz86carb
07-08-2004, 01:02 PM
3500 hundred.dam. :cool:

DNMPro
07-20-2004, 11:01 PM
I'm back, after a long move, but hey. I hate to bring up and old topic but, I've gotta agree with Vinny and NXRacer, why pay that much for a half ass job? Maaco has its place, but I thought that they didn't do any paint work without some form of body work. Find a good shop, my dad guarantees his paint jobs FOR LIFE. Not the length you own the car, but the length of the car.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-21-2004, 07:02 AM
thats because if you take youre car to macco you either are a cheap ass and have a cheap car (which will brake soon anyway) or your going to get rid of it in a couple of years. thats just MY OPINION, i mean i dont see people with vette's and vipers taking their car to macco...do you?

then the other option is to get the macco instead of driving around in primer till you get the money for a NICE paint job.

Micah 89LXi
07-21-2004, 10:00 PM
yeah...i stopped into the subaru dealer the other day..and the WRX caught the light just so...and well needless to say im taking it in tomorrow to be painted subaru WR Blue..sexiest blue ever...even sexier than civic si blue

smufguy
07-22-2004, 06:37 AM
so what other placed do u fellas suggest. I dont feel like making another thread asking ppl, so lemme sneak into this. I have a paint job from Earl Scheiwb (or something like that) its shitty, Maaco (looks nice, but reviews here suck).

So tell me what are other places that i can go and spend some decent money and get a decent paint job.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-22-2004, 07:23 AM
just go to local part stores that sell paint to body shops and ask them who the best is. thes auto part stores like CARQUEST and OREILLYS sell shit loads of paint to these places and deliver alot of the paint to the store so they can usually tell you how to get there and who does the best job. thats the easiest way to find a good local painter.

Micah 89LXi
07-22-2004, 09:05 PM
dropped her off today
ima post some before pics....and in about a week ill have the after ones :)

89LxiAg
07-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Guys,

I had my car painted at Maaco a couple of years ago because I didn't have the money (~$1700) to have a Corvette restorer paint it for me, nor could I justify spending that much on a paint job for a car that was worth only slightly more than that. Today I am still happy with the work they did. If I had to do it over I would. But I think anyone considering Maaco should know:

1) The paint will never be as smooth as a new car. (lots of orange peel everywhere!)

2) If they do any body work (I had a few dents and dings), you will still be able to see where they used body filler through the paint. It kinda looks like they didn't sand it flush as much as you should. The color matches, but if you look in the light at an angle, you can see the spots.

3) Be careful with metal flake or metallic paint. When mine cured (I have the original green metal color on my 89) there are some patches where the flake seems to have dried in a different orientation than the rest of the car because those sopts look darker and don't reflect light the same way. Luckily those spots are on the roof and the trunk lid so no one really notices.

Other than that, if you are simply looking for a paint job without spending a ton of cash, Maaco is OK. I wax mine at least once a month and it is still as shiny and fresh as the day I got it. Good Luck!

Micah 89LXi
07-26-2004, 10:55 AM
yeah ya know whats funny..i want to sell it now
i found a nissan 240sx down my road for sale..and i test drove it yesterday
holy lord i want it

Bloodlust
07-26-2004, 11:09 AM
My car is a Maaco job. Only complaint I had was chipping paint on the front bumper but they fixed it and it hasnt done it since. Other complaint is some runs in the paint but all in all it was an excellent job. Well... besides for the fact that they painted my radiator grill and headlights too but hey, who cares?

Mattphi
07-26-2004, 11:11 AM
yeai went to maaco today and they want anywhere from 900-1500 for everything...hell no lol. For that much $ i could go to some badass professional and get it all done

Vinny
07-26-2004, 11:23 AM
yeai went to maaco today and they want anywhere from 900-1500 for everything...hell no lol. For that much $ i could go to some badass professional and get it all done

Might want to rethink that. I was given about the same estimate from Maaco. That included extra prep on the roof because of the burnt clear coat and fixing all the dings and dents. I took the car to one of the better shops in town, 3 of the better shops actually and their estimates were anywhere from 3000-4500 dollars. Quality paint jobs will cost anywhere from double to triple a Maaco estimate. The prep work is that sets a quality job apart from a Macco job. Prep alone on my estimates were almost half of the total cost, including primer that ran between 350 and 450 bucks alone.

i.c.
07-26-2004, 11:44 AM
eh.... i saw k-roys macco job.... worst paint job on a car i've ever seen

Micah 89LXi
07-26-2004, 07:46 PM
well then they gonna do it till its right...i wont be easily satisfied

HondaBoy
07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
speaking of macco paint jobs. there's a '68 camero by my house for sale in the shopping center. looks alright from the road, but its got that signature macco paint job. thick ass paint flaking in chunks everywhere! lol. gotta sand really well below the original paint top color to the very base coat for things to last a while, or else you get this funky chipping. i'm probley gonna wait till collage to paint my 3gee. then i will be taking a body shop course, hopefully free or somewhat free supplies and stuff. unless things happen to change within the next year and a half or so.