PDA

View Full Version : automatic shifter knob

Underdog
07-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Please don't kill me! I know it's kinda :rice: but I like the way it looks. Anyways, I just installed a new automatic shifter knob on my 89 accord. One question I have though. When i initially installed it, i just removed the factory one, and put the new one in it's place. However, the button on the new shifter doesn't push down far enough to push the rod on the shifter down far enough to change gears. So what i had to do, was screw the knob on with the shifter already pressed down partways, so that when i press the button, it pushes it down far enough to switch gears. Here's the problem that it caused and I'm not sure if it's ok or not. Anyways, now I can switch gears while the motor's off and the car is stopped, although I still have to press the button to get out of park. Secondly, when the motor is on, I can switch between R, N, D4, D3, and 2 without pressing the button, when it used to be only N, D4, and D3. Is this really dangerous? Because if it is, I'll just put the stock one back on. Oh, and about the automatic.....after I'm done taking auto shop classes through high school (next 2 years) I hope to do a 5 spd swap :cheers:

88accordhb
07-07-2004, 09:23 PM
cool man, i think they make the car look and feel better. i saw this white lxi hatch this morning riding to school, so i drive side by side with it and it was this fine ass girl, we go to school together. so i park next to her car ofcourse and notice it was a 5sp with an aftermarket shift noob put on backwards .ehhehehehe

Underdog
07-07-2004, 09:37 PM
LOL! Funny stuff. Mine's still kinda ricey though, since it's an automatic :barf:

Underdog
07-08-2004, 01:22 PM
So can anyone tell me if it shouldn't be like it is? It doesn't seem like it would be that big of a problem, but I'd like to know for sure. :dunno:

88accordhb
07-08-2004, 03:17 PM
i have no clue, manuel trannys are soo much easy, all you need is the shift stick and the knob can be put on anyway you want. hehe

Underdog
07-08-2004, 06:56 PM
lol, I think it's ok, I drove around with it today and it doesn't seem like it will cause problems unless i have a crazy friend that decides to bump it into reverse while i'm going 70 on the freeway. I need a 5-spd!!!!

88accordhb
07-08-2004, 07:42 PM
wow! how did that happen? your tranny wouldve been fucked

blazin3gen
07-08-2004, 07:43 PM
lol, I think it's ok, I drove around with it today and it doesn't seem like it will cause problems unless i have a crazy friend that decides to bump it into reverse while i'm going 70 on the freeway. I need a 5-spd!!!!

lol that guys an idiot hahaha

Underdog
07-08-2004, 07:49 PM
no no no no!!!! It didn't actually happen, lol. I'm just saying, if it did happen, I WOULD be fucked. :omg: And then I'd make the person pay for a 5-spd swap :kekeke:

pixiesfan78
07-08-2004, 09:13 PM
sweet i dont even know where to find an auto shift knob i would do it just for looks cause i really dont like the original let me know where you got it.

Underdog
07-08-2004, 09:21 PM
I got mine at Autozone for $20. You can get the same ones on eBay for like $10, but they rip you off with shipping so it costs about the same. Here's a pic of mine:

http://img46.exs.cx/img46/1780/Dscn0913.jpg