PDA

View Full Version : Camber Angles

troutz15
07-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Can someone explain the exact point of cambe angles? i kno cars come with the tires already cambered to a certain degree. What is more camber needed for? What is less camber needed for? Is more camber good or bad in terms of fwd, rwd, and awd cars?

Busted_Blue
07-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Camber is the angle the wheel makes perpidicular with the floor. For our cars, we come with 0 degrees with mean our tires are like this | |--- | | when you look at it from the back of the car. when you lower it the cars will gain negative camber which is / / --- \ \. Turning your car puts lateral force on your car and to withstand it some camber will help you keep your stance better. Its like how when you run and you turn you curve your body to withstand the lateral force. This is why negative camber is good but it had its somewhat downfall. It will wear the inner part of the tire a little more and stability of straight driving is a little suffered as not 100% of the tire patch contacts the road. But a little is still beneficial for the car to improve handling stability.

I am not sure what the use of positive camber is. as your tires will be \ \ --- / /

As far as I know, the rule of camber is more in a the front as the head of the car does turn in first with all the weight. if you want the car to be more stable (understeer) then you need to get more camber for the back. When there is less camber in the back, the tires will give and fishtail (oversteer). It's a pretty basic rule I follow but others probably can be more in depth that I can. My setup for my car right now is 1.5 degrees negative camber in the front and 0 in the rear. I don't mind it as the camber isnt that big of a number to excessively wear my tires prematurely.