PDA

View Full Version : anybody installed a shaved door kit on their accord?

NOAHS88accord
07-21-2002, 05:42 AM
anybody installed a shaved door kit on their accord and if so can they send me a how-to please?

thank-you

NOah

87DXHatch
07-22-2002, 08:44 AM
I read this someplace a while back...

Shaving your handles is pretty easy. There is some screw or somthing that you undo and then like punch the handle out. Then you just take a piece of sheet metal and go to some place and have them weld it over the hole that the handle left. Then you just sand it down hardcore so it looks smooth and repaint the door. Then you buy some door-opening actuators (I believe the 8 lb ones will work but since you're in Alaska and doors car freeze, someone suggested 15 lb but be careful because the door can come open and hit parked cars and children and whatnot...) and install those someplace along the door to open it.

Anyways, this is not meant as a comprehensive how-to or anything this is just an overview of what all goes into shaving your handles. I think it would be a cool project but it is ILLEGAL so you could end up with tickets or whatnot even though I have never heard of someone getting a ticket for shaved handles...

Peace :flash:

pearldrop
07-22-2002, 12:26 PM
The amount of pull has nothing to do with how far the door pops open. I have the SPAL sil-35 kit and it is an awesome, easy to install kit. It is a 35 pound kit and it pulls on the actual rod that the inside door handle uses. So when the door gets popped the inside door handle pops out and opens the door. It is really easy to install, only six wires and it is super reliable. This kit mounts the solenoid on the outside of the door, near where the inside door handle is. If you get an eight or 15 pound kit, it will have to mount inside the door and it is a pain to adjust and mount.

MiGeY
07-22-2002, 12:38 PM
How much do those things go for?

pearldrop
07-22-2002, 02:25 PM
I got mine for $135 on ebay.

hondaman87
07-22-2002, 03:22 PM
a shaved door handle or shaved lock cylinder

because i have both so which on do you need