PDA

View Full Version : new throttle body?

88'er
07-08-2004, 09:50 PM
i was wondering if anyone knows where or what kind of throttle body upgrade i can do to my 88 LXi? seems so damn hard to find bolt on parts for our cars! i've heard that an aftermarket performance throttle body can really make a difference you can feel. has anyone done this or know how much of a difference you can expect?

pixiesfan78
07-08-2004, 09:56 PM
i dont have injection but i know a 4th gen accord overbore throttlebody can be used.if there are any other options i dont know but just use the search button at the top of the screen.

88accordalltheway
07-08-2004, 10:50 PM
sorry for whoring your thread, but do they make throttle body spacers for our cars(carbed that is)? cause my friend got one for his 88 silverado and it gave him a rediculus amount of power for what it was.

88'er
07-08-2004, 11:08 PM
its cool bro, don't worry about it!

TheMagi
07-08-2004, 11:55 PM
i was wondering if anyone knows where or what kind of throttle body upgrade i can do to my 88 LXi? seems so damn hard to find bolt on parts for our cars! i've heard that an aftermarket performance throttle body can really make a difference you can feel. has anyone done this or know how much of a difference you can expect?
you can take it to a machine shop, have them bore it out, and make a new plate to fit.

88'er
07-08-2004, 11:58 PM
how much more performance should i expect to see from that?

shepherd79
07-09-2004, 03:12 AM
if you don't have any other mods like CAI, full exhaust and cam, you won't see a lot of diff.

1988starter
07-09-2004, 06:10 AM
I have an extra 4th gen over bore by rc engineering I would let go for 150 plus shipping direct fit on my 88 accord.

88'er
07-09-2004, 07:19 PM
i'd definitly be interested in that, is it plug and play?

accordlxi2.0
07-09-2004, 07:27 PM
hold up if thier is more space between, the carb and intake you gain more power, . . . . .damn i mus be tiered how is that so??

mag_pbg
07-09-2004, 08:59 PM
I just went to a junkyard and bored that one out, I took a power drill (dremel is better) and a sanding drum after I got those Items I just started taking out metal and when I got close to the bore I wanted to I went with fine grit sandpaper and smoothed everything out.

mr eff
07-10-2004, 12:23 AM
hey mag, what did you use to guage the bore? i'm not used to working metal, but it seems that it would be hard to bore out a little bit and then find another tight fitting butterfly.

like i said, i'm a car newbie, so if there's an obvious response i don't know it!

anyways, just boring out the intake portion of the TB would be meaningless, as i see it, since the air will still have to flow at the same rate the butterfly hole allows. shrug!

mr eff
07-10-2004, 12:28 AM
oh, to answer your question accordlxi2.0, they mean to increase the diameter of the throttle body's opening, thus allowing a greater amount of airflow into the intake manifold (= more power!)

that's how i understand it

1988starter
07-10-2004, 08:16 AM
i'd definitly be interested in that, is it plug and play?

it bolts right up but you have to port matvh one of the fast idle holes a little

HostileJava
07-10-2004, 08:45 AM
hold up if thier is more space between, the carb and intake you gain more power, . . . . .damn i mus be tiered how is that so??

I believe the spacer some how twists the air to allow more of it to flow in, i'm not really sure. I'm also not sure how affective it will be with multiport fuel injection, but you may have some luck with the carb. They don't make them for our cars, but I'm sure you can have one custom made.

1988starter
07-10-2004, 09:42 AM
I believe the spacer some how twists the air to allow more of it to flow in, i'm not really sure. I'm also not sure how affective it will be with multiport fuel injection, but you may have some luck with the carb. They don't make them for our cars, but I'm sure you can have one custom made.

It has to do with runner length longer runners tend to give you more low end tq as short gives high end. Thus secondary butterflys. Also it makes the intake manifold larger allowing for more air to be brought inside. Or so that is what I have been told.

EDIT: Also I believe a20a1 made one using a lot of metal puddy

TheMagi
07-11-2004, 05:55 PM
if you don't have any other mods like CAI, full exhaust and cam, you won't see a lot of diff.

What he said. The combination is key....all parts working together well.

:sad2: Just means you get the motivation to jump right on over to insanity....

mag_pbg
07-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Sorry I have been gone for a few days, but Mr eff to answere your question, I used a inside bore ruler, it has a ruler, and then extensions to measure the inside of something not sure what they are exactly called, but the other part is I didn't get a new butterfly valve, I bored out in steps up to the butterfly.

othick
07-12-2004, 12:33 AM
I put a integra tb on my car about 3 weeks ago, I'm not sure if it's 58mm or 60mm, but it was quite a bit bigger than the stock one. It's not really a bolt on so don't run out and get one. I have some friends at a machine shop who did a little drilling and welding so it bolts up to the a20 manifold using the factory a20 tps. The throttle response seems alot better but I don't really think I would have gained more than 1 or 2 hp from it, my only mods were a cam and cai (until today I finally put the b16 intake manifold and milled head on my car).

smufguy
07-12-2004, 07:32 AM
like starter said, u can run a 4th gen accord TB and u might be able to run a 4g fast idle valve if u can, works the same way, and run a 4g map sensor (Wiring is exact) and u will defenitely see a power increase from mid to high end. You might as well grab their injectors and resistor box and see if u can play with it.

also, all the above are just waste of ur time and money, if u dont have a full exhaust and a CAI.

1988starter
07-12-2004, 09:35 AM
I am also going to have a 4th gen MAP sensor set up for sale including conversion wire all bolt up no sodering or cuttintg

smufguy
07-12-2004, 04:21 PM
I am also going to have a 4th gen MAP sensor set up for sale including conversion wire all bolt up no sodering or cuttintg

that would be nice, but with the ghetto set up igot, i feel the difference defenitely. Even tho its just a sensor, its funny why it makes such a difference. Weird, very weird.

ninja2571
07-12-2004, 04:56 PM
i have a full 3 inch exhaust, CAI , complete rebuild, stage 2 clutch , accel coil, MSD on the way, 4g map sensor? i know what ur sayin but they image just aint popin in my head, care to to one there, .....so get a 4th gen TB ...are the injectors a direct fit?

1988starter
07-12-2004, 05:08 PM
i have a full 3 inch exhaust, CAI , complete rebuild, stage 2 clutch , accel coil, MSD on the way, 4g map sensor? i know what ur sayin but they image just aint popin in my head, care to to one there, .....so get a 4th gen TB ...are the injectors a direct fit?

here are pics but I should mention go with a 2.25 inch exhaust. The first is my adapter the second is the sensor in place
http://www.geocities.com/geezpict/mapsensor/adapter.txt
http://www.geocities.com/geezpict/mapsensor/sensorin.txt

smufguy
07-12-2004, 09:13 PM
the injectors should just pop in. dont forget the resistor box.