PDA

View Full Version : need opinions on 89 LXI brake problem

88vert
07-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Last Saturday I was driving home from work and I noticed a burnt smell coming from my accord,I was driving along at about 65 and the car kept losing speed untill it came to a dead stop and there was smoke pouring off the front wheel wells.I had to use a 10mm wrench to brake the bleeders on the front rotors or I would have never made it home.Once I got it home I took the front calipers home and notoced one of the slide pins was stuck.I fixed that and know two wheels,one inthe back and the passenger side front will not bleed and the pedal goes all the way to the floor to stop.Any ideas?

It almost seems like the MC is shot.Thanks for all your help :sad2:

andresinibus
07-09-2004, 11:29 AM
if you losened the brake lines to release the presure and left them loose to make it home probably the line emptied and you only got air in it thats why your peddal keeps going all the way in i suggest you keep bleeding all lines not just the front right and rear left (you see the braking system is crossed for security reasons front right bottom left and front left bottom right) or even better do a brake flush and clean all the system before you go and replace the MC i think brake fluid is cheaper. For the calipers if they are geting stuck make sure you clean the pins very good and put some grease on them (caliper grease not just any grease) to helpem operate right. :) good luck

88vert
07-09-2004, 11:33 AM
I just broke the bleeders to get the calipers back and then refastened them.I tried bleeding them with the one person on the pedal and one on the bleeder method but I did that for 15 min with no luck.Is there a tool I can buy to make this bleeding easier?

andresinibus
07-09-2004, 11:42 AM
when you were doing the bleeding did the liquid in the reserve on the MC kept going down or it wouldn't move at all? And on the front left bottom rigth you get presurised liquid when you lose the bleeding screw or not?

88vert
07-09-2004, 11:45 AM
I had the lid off the MC so I could check the level and it never dropped that is whats puzzling me and on the drivers side front I cannot get any fluid to come out that bleeder :sad2:

andresinibus
07-09-2004, 11:52 AM
I had the lid off the MC so I could check the level and it never dropped that is whats puzzling me and on the drivers side front I cannot get any fluid to come out that bleeder :sad2:

on the left side do you get any liquid when you bleed it?

88vert
07-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Sitting in the car.Left side front no fluid,but left side rear i do

andresinibus
07-09-2004, 12:02 PM
have you checked this page

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

once you are there go down to brakes you will see this
Brakes 37 Mb Download in ZIP go ahead and download it it will help you a lot it tells you how to bleed trouble shot and many others things about the rest of thecar. :flash:

88vert
07-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Great info I hope I can get this figured out

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-09-2004, 12:56 PM
If I am not mistaken, the MC has a way of sealing off parts of the system that are leaking. May be possible that by allowing the brake pressure to bleed off the way you did it, you triggered this safety feature. Because of this, only 1/2 of the system may be getting fluid. I think the safety device uses small balls that plug up the ports which are wasting too much brake fluid (at least thats how some cars have it). I would check at the MC if I were you. Maybe even remove it and flush it. Hope this helps.

88vert
07-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Well I just got out of the garage after an hour of trying to bleed these brakes with still no luck.I think the master cylinder is shot :sad2:

89AccordLXI666
07-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Ok I am too having the same problem... Although I replaced one of the Lines in the Engine bay area. But I may of screwed up on the bleeding the brakes process by bleeding the passenger and drivers side front... I only bled just the front but u guys are saying to bleed the brakes a different... So If I bleed the brakes in the back where do I find the screw or what not to bleed the back brakes and which side of the back to I bleed it from?? I have an 89 Accord LX-i EFI if that makes a difference... Thanks for the help.. Lataz

andresinibus
07-12-2004, 08:19 AM
try bleeding the MC where it is like if it were new. disconect the lines and try and bleed it and see what happens also check the dual proportioning valve its where the two lines frrom the MC connect into. its on the right firewall.

88vert
07-17-2004, 03:57 AM
I finally got the brakes bled,and they work great on the highway when coming to a stop,but when I am in the city they slowley lose pressure untill it feels like you are almost going to the floor.Anybody got any ideas?

Robs89LXi
07-17-2004, 05:13 AM
Sounds like you are doing the right things, but maybe just not the right way. Make sure that when you bleed, you have it drain into a glass jar so that you can see the fluid coming out. If there are any bubbles present, keep bleeding - you still have air. While doing this, make sure that the reservoir is topped up at all times. If you let it get too low while you are bleeding, you will just introduce more air and defeat the process. Make sure you are not topping up with the stuff you are bleeding out either - use fresh brake fluid. Make sure you have someone pumping several times and holding firm while you bleed, and make sure you tighten the bleed nut each time before they let off. If you are already doing all this, then the problem might be elsewhere, but it sounds like maybe you just need to bleed again as you still have a bit of air in the system. Hope it works, and good luck.