PDA

View Full Version : Well now I am not sure what is going on with my AC

ag bullet
07-09-2004, 12:59 PM
As I mentioned before, when I turn my AC on it tends to blow the fuse that controls the rear window defroster.

I dropped it off to the shop today. After two hours they said it finally stopped blowing cool air and they were not sure about the fuse issue. Thier inital thoughts at this point is that one of the cooling fans is what is shorting the fuse and that it may need that along with a recharge. Anyone else have the fuse problem?

IN_ONE_ACCORD
07-12-2004, 09:08 AM
No fuse problems to speak of, but I did recently change a condensor fan (drivers side)
motor that was burned up. It did help cooling down ac temps at low speeds and idle. Does everything else work ok besides the defroster? You might check main relay box under the hood and replace fuses/relays there. Are the cooling fans running? You got me on the electrical prolems, but you might want to try to recharge system yourself since R12 is $$$ at a shop. You may be low on freon and that could be causing fan (condensor) to stay off. If nothing else if affected but the defogger, give
thanks it's not more than that and do without defogger.

88LXi/87CRXSi
07-12-2004, 02:01 PM
The r. defogger is on fuse #5 (10 amp) which is also the power supply for the a/c compressor clutch, a/c compressor clutch relay, a/c delay unit, and the vent control motor. I think the a/c clutch coil is going/gone, but that's just a wild guess. Do you have access to a multimeter? The resistance on the clutch coil should be 3.75 +/- 0.2 ohms @ 68°, don't know what the resistance would be at higher temps. though, that's just what the manual says.

ag bullet
07-12-2004, 03:38 PM
The r. defogger is on fuse #5 (10 amp) which is also the power supply for the a/c compressor clutch, a/c compressor clutch relay, a/c delay unit, and the vent control motor. I think the a/c clutch coil is going/gone, but that's just a wild guess. Do you have access to a multimeter? The resistance on the clutch coil should be 3.75 +/- 0.2 ohms @ 68°, don't know what the resistance would be at higher temps. though, that's just what the manual says.

Steve you are dead-on. I had the car at the shop today and they basically told me that the compressor had shit the bed. Unfortunately I have a Khein (sp?) so a new kit that basically retrofits a similar in design compressor will run me about $1400. YIKES! If I can find a decently priced remanufactured Khein I can supply that and be out about the cost of 4 hours labor. Far more reasonable.

Does anyone know a good source for remanufactured compressors? Any leads/links would be appreciated. I am going to post this as a separate request as well in the general forum. Hopefully I can get this resolved soon and cheap(er) and stop sweating.

Mac
07-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Try www.ackits.com

ag bullet
07-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Try www.ackits.com

Thanks, but they seem more geared towards recharge kits rather than remanufactured parts.