PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem

CletusWindu
07-10-2004, 01:19 AM
About a month and a half ago I was driving my ex home and when I started my car up to leave my clutch went limp. It got extra soft like it wasnt there, but it seemed to engage and disengage like normal and the car seems to run better that way. At the time I was also having a rough idle and some other stuff that seems to have cleared once I cleaned my throttlebody with some carb cleaner. Anyway, now my clutch is hard as hell sometimes, while butter soft others. I talked to a few people at work and they said that its my master cylinder going out. I asked my mechanic and he said that my clutch should be soft and that when it goes hard is when its fucking up. Now for the questions:
1)Does this sound like the master cylinder?
2)Is the clutch supposed to be extremely soft soft, by this I mean if I tap it it feels like it drops to the floor.
3)Noobish question: The master cylinder is the same master cylinder for the braking system?

k-roy
07-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Ok there is no master cylinder for the clutch. Our Accords have cable actuated clutches, not hydrolic. If it was a hydro clutch there would be a slave cylinder, its usually under the brake master cylinder.

I think your cable may be stretched out. Try replaceing the clutch cable, I got one for around 30 or 40 bucks at a Honda dealership. Its kinda a pain to install, especially through the firewall and to the pedal. Then there is an adjustment benieth the battery. If that does not fix it you better start saving for a new clutch.

shepherd79
07-10-2004, 03:49 AM
it doesn't sound like it is your cable problem. if it was cable you would have the same affect over and over. sounds like your pressure plate is fucked up.
you can get Honda one, and they are the best. or you can go cheap and pick up one at autoparts store.

skull1441
07-11-2004, 07:35 AM
i said this many times b4, and i will always say it .... dont buy autozone clutch ( or any rebuilt clutches )