PDA

View Full Version : Hi I am the nooby

conechaser
07-10-2004, 07:11 AM
Well I never thought I would own a Honda but now I do.
Unfortunately it is due to the fact that the engine is siezed. It is an 89 lx 2.0 carb.
I am Chris I am an avid autocrosser and I have two sons about to get their licenses. I drve my 86 MR2 daily and to autocross so the Honda will probably go to my Kids when I get it running again. Any thoughts on if I should stick with the a20a1 or swap something else in its place would be helpful. I am a technician by trade and all work will be done by me. Oh yeah it also has an automatic trans but that should be fine for two new drivers for now.
Well I look forward to talking to you all from time to time, so till then nice to be a part of your family

od2681
07-10-2004, 07:58 AM
welcome to the board
its good to have experienced people here...and there are a lot of em
there is info on the site bout motors and such. Just gota look around
nice to have you aboard...

A20A1
07-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Welcome

Sweet, I've been wondering if an auto would enter into an autocross... when you finally do race the accord you might want to try and lock the throttle value lever in it's up-most position a few milimeters from the top so the trans stays in the lowest gear possible and keeps your revs from droping, it may take some adjustments and getting used to though.

pimp86LX
07-10-2004, 09:54 AM
throw a webber carb on there too, the a20a1 is still a good engine.

btw, welcome to the board! Its nice to know that not all members are 16-20 ;)

Mike's89AccordLX
07-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Hey I'm 20 and am a mechanic so not all people are dumb when they are in that range :)

I have an 89 LX 5speed. I have the A20A1 that is modded pretty well and I think you should stick with that motor or do an efi swap if you don't have a lot of money to put an really nice Honda motor into it.

You can check out my cardomain site to know more info and pics of my car.

-Mike

pimp86LX
07-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Hey I'm 20 and am a mechanic so not all people are dumb when they are in that range :)

hehe alright alright, fair enough.
:)

truetune
07-10-2004, 11:24 AM
welcome. keep the A20A1

conechaser
07-10-2004, 01:06 PM
thanks for the replies I am going to stay with the a20a1 but I am not sure if I am going to do a complete rebuild and bring up compression or just do a used replacement to get it going.
as far as the age issue there are stupid people in all ages I happen to have just turned 40, going on 25 in my opinion. And I seem to meet stupid people in all ages right up to their eighties.
you know the saying "stupid is as stupid does" thats whatmy momma used to say.

SiR
07-12-2004, 06:39 AM
you know the saying "stupid is as stupid does" thats whatmy momma used to say.

Hahahaha!!! Welcome, I'm glad to see another Florida member on the board. The A20A1 engines are really good, my carb model has 306k with no rebuilt engine or auto tranny. The auto trannies are very strong in lasting for a very long time. Just do simple maintainence on the Accord, and it will give back four folds.

Sebastian is a very nice city by the ocean. I was hoping to go there soon to try some body boarding by the Inlet. Much quieter then Fort Lauderdale!!!(crazy people down here)

87AccordsterLx
07-12-2004, 06:52 AM
If you do consider doing a swap I would recomend the H23 engine out of the 4th gen prelude non-vtec.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-12-2004, 07:07 AM
87AccordsterLx why would you suggest that? The reason I'm asking is b/c I have a 94 Prelude Si with a H23 in it and most people I talk with tell me to swap in the H22 Vtec motor. Maybe there's something I don't know that you know. I just rolled the car over to 180K this last week and it's still running strong.

88accordhb
07-12-2004, 09:44 AM
welcome. i'd do the efi swap and maybe consider turbo.

od2681
07-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Welcome

Sweet, I've been wondering if an auto would enter into an autocross... when you finally do race the accord you might want to try and lock the throttle value lever in it's up-most position a few milimeters from the top so the trans stays in the lowest gear possible and keeps your revs from droping, it may take some adjustments and getting used to though.
wprocomp has a dx automatic..he autocrosses in that

A20A1
07-12-2004, 12:25 PM
87AccordsterLx why would you suggest that? The reason I'm asking is b/c I have a 94 Prelude Si with a H23 in it and most people I talk with tell me to swap in the H22 Vtec motor. Maybe there's something I don't know that you know. I just rolled the car over to 180K this last week and it's still running strong.

I think they love their vtec over displacement, and it fried their brains...
I'd rather have the H23... and swap in a good pair of cams.

HostileJava
07-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Welcome, hope to hear about that car shortly in the future :D And pimp I resent that to, I'm 22 now :D

NXRacer
07-12-2004, 12:54 PM
welcome!

IMO it would be better to convert to EFI and since you sound like you're pretty handy, it wouldnt be too much trouble for ya. Better gas mileage and fewer things to go wrong. But like the carb fans have said, they aren't too bad for a carburated motor.