PDA

View Full Version : Fixing my 17" Wheel, need some input.

Mike's89AccordLX
07-10-2004, 09:46 AM
Alright guys after 2 deals fell through I've decided to try and fix them and either use them or try and sell them again.

Someone said to take the tire off and put JB Weld on the crack. And I could use a dead blow mallet to pound the small bend back in and put JB weld on that just so there won't be any chance of leaking. And after I get the tire back on I would have to balance the wheel.

(At school we have all the equipment to take tires off/put them on and balance wheels. So I would have to wait until mid August to do this stuff.

Do you guys think if I did this stuff the wheel would be able to support it's weight of the car?

I could have a place weld the wheel but hell $40 for welding it and JB welding it would be pretty much the same thing.

Pic of the damaged rim.
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3143

ag bullet
07-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Alright guys after 2 deals fell through I've decided to try and fix them and either use them or try and sell them again.

Someone said to take the tire off and put JB Weld on the crack. And I could use a dead blow mallet to pound the small bend back in and put JB weld on that just so there won't be any chance of leaking. And after I get the tire back on I would have to balance the wheel.

(At school we have all the equipment to take tires off/put them on and balance wheels. So I would have to wait until mid August to do this stuff.

Do you guys think if I did this stuff the wheel would be able to support it's weight of the car?

I could have a place weld the wheel but hell $40 for welding it and JB welding it would be pretty much the same thing.

Pic of the damaged rim.
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3143

I would just chalk it up and try to source a new rim. We have guys come in that have done what you are describing (welding) and they still have leaking problems. Once you have bent and cracked a wheel like that its safety and integrity are gone. I wouldn't drive on it, welded or not. It will also never be true and it will be hard to keep balanced. That will affect tire wear as well as be annoying with road noise and vibrations even if placed on the right rear. Just my two cents, but put the money to fix it towards a replacement.

What kind of wheel is it (brand)?

HondaBoy
07-10-2004, 01:09 PM
even if it was welded, i'd still worry about a stress crack forming and other problems. if you plan on pounding the dent out, it will likely collapse back in a little after a while. i know i tried fixing the rim i bent and it looked ok, but it started to look dented after a while. i say look for a new matching rim if possible. you will waste more time on this bent rim than is needed, especially if its cracked. dont know what you will decide on doing, but i hope things work out for you.

Moodybluesr
07-11-2004, 02:13 AM
www.fixrim.com

I have used them before and they made a 20-year-old mesh rim look like brand new again... if you are willing to cough up the $$$, give them a go. :D

carotman
07-11-2004, 02:34 AM
Yup. Some shops specialize in rim repair and can remair almost any rim. Even if badly cracked.

HondaBoy
07-11-2004, 02:40 PM
yeah, it'd be better for a shop to do it if you can find one. i know a lot of machine shops can undent rims and balance them back out, but they can sometimes cost more than a new rim for the cracked rims to be fixed. but if its a rim they dont sell anymore or something like that, then it would be something to think about. its worth it to check it out anyway.

XJRiggs
07-21-2004, 02:56 AM
That would be an easy fix for these guys

http://www.wheelcollision.com

AccordEpicenter
07-21-2004, 02:27 PM
well if its a cheap cast wheel forget about it, throw it away. If its a really nice high forged aluminum wheel then you might be able to have it welded but it must be done right or the wheel will never be true etc again.

88accordalltheway
07-21-2004, 03:12 PM
jb welding and actual welding is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same thing. JB weld is a compound that get really hard and sticks to alot of things. Welding is when you (depending on what kind it is) melt metal together to join two seperate pieces. usually with welding a crack, the filled crack will be stronger than the surrounding metal. JB weld will be much weaker than the surrounding metal.
I say, get new rims, dont eve waste your time or money trying to get this one fixed. It will never be the same no matter what you do.

AccordEpicenter
07-21-2004, 08:37 PM
if its a cast wheel... throw it away

86LXItooFAST4me
07-22-2004, 06:50 AM
i bet if you take it to a welding shop the might be able to fix it, problem is its going to be off balance

Mike's89AccordLX
07-22-2004, 07:35 AM
Well I just got off the phone with a guy from Wheels America and he said I should take the tire off and then send it to them and they will let me know within a day if they can fix it or not. I really want to get these fixed and put them on my prelude b/c just begs for nice big rims like these. I don't mind a $129 fee since it will be more to buy a new set of rims and tires.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
08-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Holy wow I got the tire taken off today getting ready to send it to Wheels America in Chicago. Well it cost me $4 to take it off and I was ok cool. Well I saw what no customer ever hopes to see. 5 guys standing around the wheel blocking my view and all I hear is clank clank clank. First off he said the wheel is trashed I'm like duh that's why I'm sending it to get fixed. Then he said the tire was trashed too. I was like wtf? I just got those tires and they have only been used for about 4 months how could it be junk?

IMHO I believe the crapped out my tire b/c the inner wall was trashed from them trying to get the tire off and they f**ked up my rim even more. I told them to take it off from the front so you don't make anymore stress cracks. Well they took it off from the back and now there's a crack that looks like a big T. I hope to God or whoever that this place can fix my rim b/c I love them! Oh yeah and he said I could sell you a tire now if you want and I was like the rim isnt fixed why would I waste money if they cant fix it?

My other question, would it be bad to have 3 yokohama tires and 1 odd ball tire thats the same size?

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
08-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Ok I got a question what is the "barrel of a rim" ????? I'm just really nervous about the rim b/c this place really did some damage to the rim. And after looking at it I could see marks on the outside of the rim where they much have been prying against. Really pisses me off that they treat your stuff like that just b/c they think its junk.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
08-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Bad news fellas :crying: my rim is not fixible b/c it was out of round. I'm going to try and find a set of the same kind and have 3 spare rims so hopefully I can get a set.

-mike

markmdz89hatch
08-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Mike, can I see the front of that wheel? From the back, it looks frighteningly similar to my 17's, of which one has cracked as well.