PDA

View Full Version : Short ram Installation/Questions

AccordAddict
07-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Heres a pic of a short ram intake setup, i have a couple Q's because im going to be making my own but i have some seroius questions. ill use this pic as an example.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/458000-458999/458473_14_full.jpg

Ok first question is, when you remove the air filter box thats connected to the Intake manifold, would there be a big hole there when air was coming threw? what do you do when you remove it, seal it up with someting??? and i have another question, where the short ram intake tube starts (off the side of the manifold) the stock tube does like a big uturn into another hole thats under the manifold, what is that? And when you remove it to put a new tube, what will happen when the big hole under it is open? is that how its setup because it seems like something would be wrong. Thanks.

nswst8
07-10-2004, 06:32 PM
When you add a short Ram you only eliminate the air box. Upgrade to a CAI when you can colder air = more HPs. Secret to CAI is a straight line to the Throttle body not a whole lot of bends which restricts air flow.
Hope this helps.
Phil :cheers:

AccordAddict
07-10-2004, 06:55 PM
ya but what happens when you elimate the air box, theres a big hole there and it will probably suck in unfiltered hot air, and the hole up under the manifold will be open too...

Bloodlust
07-10-2004, 06:57 PM
I just recently installed my CAI from a Weapon R "hot" air intake and when I was putting the one pipe thru to the spot behind the bumper cover there was another air box sort of thingy that I never removed when installing the short ram. You might want to keep that in mind.

AccordAddict
07-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Bloodlust, when you took the air filter box off the manifold was there a big hole there that sucks in air?

nswst8
07-10-2004, 07:32 PM
If you you sit and contiplate the "AIR BOX" as we are trying to explain to you.
The original Air filter housing originates from the fender well (passenger side) through the plastic tubing into the air box (Filter) then into the U shaped tubing into the Throttle body air inlet to the intake manifold to the combustion chamber via the intake valves.
So as we learn there is no hole in the manifold.

AccordAddict
07-10-2004, 08:16 PM
so i can remove the air filter box, and the big u shaped thing and just replace the beggining of where the u shaped tube was with a straight tube and a filter on the end and it will not be Fu*ked up?

88accordhb
07-10-2004, 08:22 PM
i think the air box hole youre refering too takes in air from the fender. don't worry bout it, that's definitely cooler air then the one emmite inside the engine bay. enjoy your short ram it'll be great!

AccordAddict
07-10-2004, 08:29 PM
so.... YES i CAN remove the box where the air filter is, and remove the u shaped tube and replace it with my new intake?....

88accordhb
07-10-2004, 08:53 PM
i'm not sure of wat your talking about, fi is not my thing. but you should be ok as long as the throttle body isn't exposed to the open air. connect the short ram to the throttle body, remove the stock intake set up (airbox, intake pipe) and left the fender hole open, it's ok. make sure that no area is open so that dirt can run thru the intake manifold and into the block. get it?

nswst8
07-10-2004, 08:55 PM
That U shaped joint only joins the air box to the throttle body intake. So yes, a Short Ram Intake connects directly to the Throttle body Intake. But as you get more confident in your abilities fabicate a Cold Air Intake from a 94-97 Accord CAI.
Hope this helps.

AccordAddict
07-10-2004, 09:00 PM
oookkkkkkkkkk... i think i have it... just remove everything off the intake manifold / Throttle body (i guess) and just add the new intake pipe with filter on the Throttle body?

88accordhb
07-10-2004, 10:01 PM
goooddd jooobb!!!

AccordAddict
07-11-2004, 08:16 AM
yes, i totally get it now, i just overlooked my intake and get it... i thought the air box will filter air directly into the manifold but it doesnt, it goes down into the ushaped pipe and up into the manifold. problem solved :D

AccordAddict
07-11-2004, 08:18 AM
oh, and do you think it would be easier to just make a CAI out of PVC piping?

88accordhb
07-11-2004, 09:01 AM
don't know what that is.

nswst8
07-11-2004, 09:54 AM
don't know what that is.

PVC not rated for extreme tempatures. Its possible but not recommended.

88accordhb
07-11-2004, 10:05 AM
oh in that case, hehe don't worry bout wat pipe youre using, air intake is nothing like exhaust output. as long ass the pipe is easy to work with, ie. bend, weld, etc. temp is not goint to be extreme, but it would help using pvc piping since it'll help insulate air coming into your throttle body, into the cylinders. colder air = denser air = nice burnability = better performance. good luck. I've seen people use regulay aluminum? metal? piping and wrap it with this wierd foam material to insulate air. just use regualar piping that you can find at home depot, orchard, etc. or you can order watever piping off ebay or something, uhhh 92-95 civic? or 90-93 accord CAI. i'm not sure, but definitely some fabrication necessary.

micheal jackson

AccordAddict
07-11-2004, 07:35 PM
yeah im going to wrap the pipe in heat resistant stuff to keep it insolated better.