PDA

View Full Version : Engine revs automatically

smufguy
07-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Lately i have been having this problem. Once the car is warned up and im driving, the Idle is at normal. Lets say im cruizin at 2K rpm in 5th gear, and i close the clutch, the Engine is still revving at 2K, it does not drop down to Idle rpm. I have to tap the gas to get the needle drop down to where its supposed to be at.

Also at times when im at a light and its idling fine, all of a sudden it starts to rise and fall, rise and fall. I dont know wtf is wrong with it?

Im gonna go ahead and change the fast idle valve and looks like my idle stop screw is leakin air around it. cause the screw seems to have some kinda coating around it and its all ripped out.

My ignition timing is retarded a lil bit than the stock setting but i dont know if tis is what is causing it.

I had a problem with the car running rough at times, like a lawn mower to be exact, i made another thread a while back regarding this. I dont know whats up with this.

The car is a 88 EFI and all the parts were gotten from a junkyard. The fuel filter is new, running at 43psi of fuel pressure, got new BOSCH platinum plugs with a gap of 1.1mm and have about 7K miles on it. The Oxygen sensors were changed last october and has 20,000 miles on it.

Im also gonna clean out the Intake Air temperature sensor and see whts up.

ALSO THE ENGINE DOES NOT THROW A CODE. :)

88accordlxcarb
07-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Same thing happens to me, or used to on my stock 88 lx. I know this does not help you much, but on my carb i adjusted my fast idle screw and fixed a very small vacuum leak and that fixed it. It would only do it when it was not warmed up, and when i would press in the clutch the RPMS would drop to normal idle, when i let go of it, the RPMS would go up to around 2500 or so. Kinda weird.

AZmike
07-10-2004, 09:54 PM
My Prelude would oscillate from 1250-2000 rpm at idle once warmed up when I got it. Replacing the fast idle valve solved the problem. The Accord used to hold at 2k a few years ago once the clutch was disengaged. I only did it a few times and has since gone away. I'd suspect the throttle cable for that problem since you said tapping the pedal makes it go away.