PDA

View Full Version : Stock Muffler

1989accordaz
07-11-2004, 11:56 AM
I just noticed yesterday that my stock muffler (89 LX)has a bunch of holes in it. Should I worry about replacing it now, is it affecting performace?

DeathRat
07-11-2004, 02:21 PM
I just noticed yesterday that my stock muffler (89 LX)has a bunch of holes in it. Should I worry about replacing it now, is it affecting performace?
Performance....No.......Exhaust fumes.....YES!
I went with a Ractive Fireball Stainless Steel Round Muffler with the 4" Slash Tip. Looks better than stock & sounds better too!
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/491000-491999/491601_110.jpg

88accordhb
07-11-2004, 02:47 PM
hmmm i don't think you'll have problems with fumes, it's more of the sound, thus it's called a muffler, muffles sounds. fumes is more of a catalytic converter thing. run with a test pipe and you'll defenitely smell it. run without the muffler, it'll be the same, just really really loud. but if your gonna replace the muffler, then why not just go with like a racin style one? unless that's not your style.

accordlxi2.0
07-11-2004, 03:09 PM
i lost my muffler due to n-dropping to many time's, plus the pipe was rusted half-way.
but it sounded hella better.
plus 'lil gain in power.
cause it's farting is less restricting . . . . .

*****3GEEZ 4 LIFE!*****

88accordhb
07-11-2004, 03:52 PM
lmao, funniest thing i've heard this weak!

DeathRat
07-11-2004, 06:56 PM
The "fumes" I was talking about is Carbon Monoxide! It's oderless BTW!

88accordhb
07-11-2004, 07:07 PM
umm if i'm not mistaken the exhaust valves releases both carbon monoxide and nitrogen monoxide and they're both broken down by the cat. yes carbon monoxide is oderless and is very poisonous, nitrogen monoxide is also poisonous but smells like uhhh when you leave the gas of your stove on.

1989accordaz
07-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Performance....No.......Exhaust fumes.....YES!
I went with a Ractive Fireball Stainless Steel Round Muffler with the 4" Slash Tip. Looks better than stock & sounds better too!
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/491000-491999/491601_110.jpg

Hey DeathRat,

Do you know the model number of your muffler by any chance? It looks good.

AccordAddict
07-11-2004, 07:42 PM
you messed up your piping/muffler by n-dropping (Neutral Dropping) ? i do that alot... heh i hope it dont mess nothin up, i have all aluminum piping and a 3A Racing muffler, Removed resonator also.

88accordhb
07-11-2004, 08:04 PM
The main emissions of a car engine are:

Nitrogen gas (N2) - Air is 78-percent nitrogen gas, and most of this passes right through the car engine.
Carbon dioxide (CO2) - This is one product of combustion. The carbon in the fuel bonds with the oxygen in the air.
Water vapor (H2O) - This is another product of combustion. The hydrogen in the fuel bonds with the oxygen in the air.
These emissions are mostly benign (although carbon dioxide emissions are believed to contribute to global warming). But because the combustion process is never perfect, some smaller amounts of more harmful emissions are also produced in car engines:
Carbon monoxide (CO) - a poisonous gas that is colorless and odorless
Hydrocarbons or volatile organic compounds (VOCs) - produced mostly from unburned fuel that evaporates
Sunlight breaks these down to form oxidants, which react with oxides of nitrogen to cause ground level ozone (O3), a major component of smog.

Nitrogen oxides (NO and NO2, together called NOx) - contributes to smog and acid rain, and also causes irritation to human mucus membranes
These are the three main regulated emissions, and also the ones that catalytic converters are designed to reduce.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter1.htm

don't worry bout the muffler and gas fumes, just worry bout the loud ass sound it'll make. i like my muffler, cheap stuff off ebay and it sounds great with a testpipe.

DeathRat
07-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey DeathRat,

Do you know the model number of your muffler by any chance? It looks good.
I'll do better than that! I sell them too: http://www.pureperformancefever.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=271&osCsid=3585a00065281b6064faefe7a4f0042d

88accordhb
07-11-2004, 08:13 PM
those good sick!

accordlxi2.0
07-12-2004, 07:36 AM
accordaddict
the stuff was rusted any way, i'm glad it broke but it did it at the wrong time though, lol.
it gave me an excuse to upgrade. . . . . .