PDA

View Full Version : spring/struts

TheMagi
07-11-2004, 06:04 PM
I've read alot lately about people wanting to know what struts work good with what springs. Using search, you can access some really good info.
My thoughts are like this: You can run stock struts, for example, with H&R's. It will ride good on even, smooth roads. How long? It's a dice toss. Buying proper struts for the desired amount of lowering is where it's at. If you want 2" all the way around, get re-valved Bilstiens. (refer to sticky) If you get a 1" drop, you can use Tokico blues and have a good handling/good riding car tradeoff. Just my 2 cents.

Busted_Blue
07-11-2004, 06:24 PM
You got a good point saying that life is usually affected by the springs.

As far as i know, there is still bounce in H&R and Tokico springs but its tolerable for alot of people. I still advise to get new struts nonetheless. If you can, get Tokico Blues. A whole set usually cost around 230-250 on ebay. Thats a small price to pay for new shocks, since the old struts in the car could've been long dued already. With the stock struts being there for so long, who knows how long before it blows and you need to replace them again and do all that work again. I recommended replace the stock struts with Tokicos since the blues being slightly stiffer than stock. This doesnt make a difference for those stiffer springs but it is still better than stock.

Some people don't have the option to get revalved bilstiens and I understand that. $650 bucks for 4 struts is lot of money and many of us don't have that much to spend for suspension. Like the sticky says, you get what you pay for. If you don't got the money for the stuff right now, I suggest you start saving and do it right.

My setup is Tokico Springs/Struts and I don't mind the minimal bounce it gives me. I still think it can be improved with bilstiens. I paid a total of $315 for the parts so I got what I paid for. I replaced my struts with KYB GR2s a little over two years ago and I still changed to Tokicos struts because they are SLIGHTLY stiffer (I emphasize slightly) than GR2.

on and on, Just be careful what you pick and what you do. The springs you choose may not be the optimal one and maybe more than your struts life will be affected. Be sure to look at your bushings because those can go to hell too if your ride is too stiff.

Happy choosing!

Vanilla Sky
07-11-2004, 06:33 PM
me? i'm going for custom rate GCs and revalved bilstiens... i know it's gonna cost me $1100 or $1200, but that's the cost of doin it right... period...

Busted_Blue
07-11-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm thinking of your setup too vanilla. What spring rates are you going for?

For me I think i would go with 9kg/mm in the front and 6kg/mm in the rear.

Vanilla Sky
07-11-2004, 09:57 PM
i'm not sure yet... i wouldn't be surprised if i end up with 2 sets of springs in the end, though