PDA

View Full Version : questions

89 Accord Se-I
07-21-2002, 09:25 PM
if i take off my valve cover am i going to have to seal it when i put if back on? i dont want to lose compression if its not air tight.

and on my 89 accord se-i why is there a dead end hose that comes off the intake tube?

88LXACCORD
07-21-2002, 09:40 PM
No you shouldn't have to replace the seal unless it really worn out, like hard and flaking apart. I'd recommend a new one anyway, they're pretty cheap.

As for losing compression, the valve cover doesn't have anything to do with that. It just protects the camshaft and valves. The head gasket is what holds in the compression but thats on the head.

For the hose, im not sure what you mean, sorry.

dosh8er
07-21-2002, 09:44 PM
Read up a little more on the whole workings of an engine. The valve cover is to COVER the valve assembly, keeping the oil in and such. Need more info on "'a dead end hose that comes off the intake tube". Don't know what you're talking about, be more specific. (what part is it exactly on, the throttle body? Air Intake hose?)

--"That one thing that's connected to that other thing is broken man... ho can i like do that one thing to it?" ... redundancy is only necessary in file system checks, backups and beer drinking

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-21-2002, 11:00 PM
The dead end tube your're talking about (right next to the battery, right?) is just a little silencer/baffle type thing to make it nice and quiet :)

DanG86LX
07-22-2002, 08:49 AM
However, the valve cover should be tight if you care about PCV system. Blow by gases from valve stems (old cars) are sucked by PCV through crankcase etc.
Once after a valve lash, I didn't set the cover properly and oil leaked all over the spark plug pits! :stupid:

89 Accord Se-I
07-22-2002, 10:01 AM
thanks alot guys this forum is sweet, first time usin it

offthahook
07-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by 89 Accord Se-I
thanks alot guys this forum is sweet, first time usin it

True dat.

This Forum > Honda dealer