PDA

View Full Version : Motor Swap Questions

skippy124
07-13-2004, 03:46 AM
Hi Again,

I previously posted regarding a suddenly smokey motor (thanks to all those who gave advice)... and the end result is I am fitting a second hand engine... two mechanics recommended this as the best course of action after having a look at the car. I am planning to replace crank and cam seals, timing belt, water pump and all those small coolant hoses around the inlet manifold before I fit the motor.

Any other suggestions as to what should be done to the replacement motor before I fit it to the car????

Thanks
John

Vinny
07-13-2004, 05:12 AM
I'd also recommend changing the pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket. breather O ring and possibly the breather chamber to PCV hose as well. Those gaskets will all be aold and dry rotted. Also check the condition of the water tube comming off the water pump behind the block, its a fairly inexpensive part and they tend to rust. Its much easier to change it with the engine out, especially if you are changing all the small coolant lines

nswst8
07-13-2004, 05:22 AM
This is a leaky little bastard.
Hope this helps,
Phil :cheers:

Vinny
07-13-2004, 05:50 AM
hehe I said that already....ya blind old man :D

skippy124
07-13-2004, 06:03 AM
Does that mean I should change the oil filter housing gasket twice ????? (to be sure to be sure)

Vinny
07-13-2004, 06:20 AM
No just once should be sufficient :D

skippy124
07-20-2004, 06:05 AM
Motor Swap complete.... thanks to the guys who offered advice. Everything went well, the second hand engine runs really well and no leaks or smoke!!!. Also had the Auto trans rebuilt at the same time... drives like a new car now. Well worth the effort