PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body ( TB ) Spacer / Adapter

89bumblethumper
12-29-2002, 10:20 PM
I want to get a Helix Throttle body spacer, but they dont make one for our generations...am i able to buy a different year accord throttle body spacer???

thanks

Mike's89AccordLX
12-29-2002, 11:11 PM
when you find out please pm me.

89bumblethumper
12-30-2002, 06:18 AM
will do...if only i can find out if i can use a different year accord model...

bobafett
01-03-2003, 02:19 PM
question... what about looking for the TB spacer for the preludes that use the a20.. i wonder if its the same TB, but since i dont know if its even the same intake manifold maybe its a mute point... but its a good place to start looking

YK86
01-03-2003, 05:13 PM
If what you are talking about is simular to what they do in Mustangs, I'm sure you can make your own. It wouldn't have to be fancy. Just a square piece with one big hole in the middle, a smaller squarish hole, and 4 holes for the studs. But will it help perfromance?? I know the older 5.0's with carbs saw good gains from it but it seems to be questionable for the newer EFI cars.

89bumblethumper
01-04-2003, 11:41 AM
the Helix bore causes a spinning action of the incoming air charge as it passes through the throttle body. This charge produces a super-atomized mixture and give gains in mid-range, torque and fuel efficiency. You can get ones without the helix bore to it, but that is not what im looking for. They are very popular among newer cars...which are all now pretty much EFI. You can get them for 90-97 accord and up...but i dont know if the TB is the same on the 90 as the 89. Plus, i dont know where i would figure that out, hence the reason im posting this on the board. cause there has GOTTA be someone out there that knows if they are the same thottle body...if it helps i have an 89 accord hatchback EFI.
Do you think that if we use the 93 civic air intake that it would be the same thottle body??? (just a shot in the dark question)

YK86
01-04-2003, 01:44 PM
I undertsand now. I didn't know about the swirl action. Anyways, if you want to check, you can always compare TB gaskets. If you want to compare actual part numbers, you can go to San Leandro Honda's online parts and look them up.

bobafett
01-04-2003, 05:52 PM
hey just because we use the same intake doesnt mean they are the same. it just means that he opening is somewhat close to the same! :)

i am curious about the TB compatibility as well though

dXsquared
01-04-2003, 05:56 PM
rnt the B16 tbs the same?

Travis

bobafett
01-04-2003, 06:07 PM
is the b16 tb the same as a20? if so i am all set!

turfnnsurf
01-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Well, I just looked up the TB's for the 3G and for the 90 4G and the part numbers for the TB's are different BUT the GOOD NEWS is that the part numbers for the TB GASKET's are the SAME!!!!
89LX-i/SE-i 16176-PT2-004 GASKET, THROTTLE BODY (NIPPON LEAKLESS)
90 LX 16176-PT2-004 GASKET, THROTTLE BODY (NIPPON LEAKLESS)

So I think it is possible that the spacer for the 90's will sork for us.

89bumblethumper
01-05-2003, 12:21 PM
HMMMMM....i think i can spare $70 to see if it works...i think im going to order one when i get back to NY and ill let you guys know...

hey turfnnsurf...where in NY you live???

bobafett
01-05-2003, 12:41 PM
hey can you check to see if the gasket for the 86 lxi is the same as the 89? this is looking promising!

89bumblethumper
01-05-2003, 12:50 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRR...It turns out that the website that i was looking threw was only a "Holding...pre-sale" item...i dug further into the "pre-sale" and it turns out that PowerAid doesn't even make them for Honda's...ive have asked Poweraid if they are going to make them or what not...awaiting a reply for this....

Sorry about all the misunderstandment on my part...but i will keep to this...I might even be able to find a Machinist who can make them for me...if so i WILL keep everyone posted.

turfnnsurf
01-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Hey there 89bumblethumper, IM not in NY, I live in Central NJ near Trenton. I'll keep looking also for some kind of TB spacer, I like the idea behind it..

Low Tek
03-19-2003, 09:53 PM
ok.. I am confused a little... what does this spacer do exactly??

and would this do anything for me if I have the b16 intake manifold and TB?? :eek:

AccordEpicenter
03-19-2003, 10:18 PM
nothing really unless its a helix. People say it insulates the throttle body from heat, which is great, but its of absolutely no value because all honda TBs are heated by coolant.

buzzbomber88lx
03-20-2003, 12:42 PM
They work like a powervalve on a dirt bike I believe. The 5.0 mustang does get a power increase from the spacer. I believe you could easily make one with some metal, a drill, grinder, and gasket maker.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-13-2004, 08:00 AM
well i was talking to my chiro and he was telling me about the shop he just built with alum. mills. so i was like, hey man if i came up with something you think i could get you to make it. he was like sure. so im going to look into a throttle body spacer and adaptor to make a 4G TB fit onto a 3G intake. i was also going to be making the port spiraled in a way like the other "big brand" TB spacers. anyone think this would be something of the interest??

Mike's89AccordLX
07-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Hey I just put one on my 94 Prelude Si and there was no performance increase at all and there was minimal increase in gas mileage. I'm going to fill up the tank one more time and see if there's an increase if not then I'm taking it off and selling it.

I know TB Spacers can work well with Carbs and TBI but with FI it doesn't do the same thing it does with carbs and tbi.

I have the sprialed type OBX spacer and it makes a whistling sound when you accelerate kinda fast. I suppose some people would like it b/c it sounds like a turbo spooling sorta. But frankly I'm going to be dead honest and say I spent $44 on a piece of crap for my car and don't suggest anyone else getting one. Spend your money on getting your TB bored out.

-Mike

86LXItooFAST4me
07-13-2004, 08:41 AM
well the idea is more to make an adaptor plate like i said since the 4G doesnt bolt up the the 3G intake. and since there is going to be some spacing between the TB and intake, i was going to make it some type of TB spacer aswell since the space is there alread from the adaptor. see what i mean?

Mike's89AccordLX
07-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Oh I see now. I wouldn't do the spirals though. It's annoying after awhile if you get it to do what mine does.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Hey Sean, give some info on this if you have any since you have a better idea of what im doing here.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-14-2004, 03:38 PM
bump

NXRacer
07-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Mike: mine does that right now and all i've done is put on a short ram intake. I think its because the TB might be dirty. not the spacer like you said. :dunno:

smufguy
07-14-2004, 03:44 PM
this topic was long discussed and has died ever since cause it did jack shit. Spirated dont do crap except for systems with diluted mixtures, as in carbs. Also, starter also made a good point in that thread that the runner length from the head to the Plenum is what matters for high end or top end, the distance between your throttle plate and the plenum does not do anything.

on the carb its different because, the fuel input, venturi and all other crazy stuff sit in the carb, and shifting it up from the manifold itself improves atomization of the fuel spray due to the increased distance. But on the efi, the injectors sit right at the head (literally speaking) so it does not do anything.

There are too much views about this, both pro and con, but for the money, you just dont get what ur looking for.

A20A1
07-14-2004, 04:50 PM
The tb spacer increases the plenum... thats about it.
May give a little more low end.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-15-2004, 05:26 AM
......i under stand what a TB spacer does. you all are missing my point, the point is to fit a 4th Gen TB onto our cars, the 3rd Gen. the combination of the 4G TB port matched pluse an adaptor plate that would also function as a TB spacer would give ALOT more low end in my opinion. i dont know, just an idea that im going to go through with. the main point of this thread was to see if anyone else would be interested in one.

smufguy
07-15-2004, 06:41 AM
well u missed my post too. I told you Corey (1988starter) did it. So far to my knowledge he did it. So why dont you send him a pm?

Lemme help you out: check this >>> http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=31853

Mike's89AccordLX
07-15-2004, 07:20 AM
I understood that his main motive for this was to adapt a 4G Accord TB onto his 3G Intake Manifold. That's his main part of this. I think that he probably realizes now that there won't be any power increase since fuel isn't add at that part like it is on a carb.

-Mike

86LXItooFAST4me
07-15-2004, 07:45 AM
lol, ok so i wont get anypower out of the spacer, whatever. but what are the advantages of putting a 4G tb on?

smufguy
07-15-2004, 10:07 AM
^^^^ post #11 ^^^^ increased air flow via a larger diameter Throttle body. Still dont get the point? :(

86LXItooFAST4me
07-15-2004, 10:37 AM
dude, thanks for answering my question!! thank you so so much!

PS

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/negative23.jpg

smufguy
07-15-2004, 11:43 AM
hahahah that was nice hehehe, i love it.