PDA

View Full Version : Major Door Problem

mag_pbg
07-13-2004, 08:18 AM
I went out to my car yesterday, only to find the door open, so closed it or so I thought went inside to get ready for work and when I came out the door was back open. I got into the car and tried to shut the door except it wouldn't shut. What happend was somebody, or me even though I don't remember doing it, punched in the locking thing on the door that holds the door shut, they hit it hard enough to push the lock into the door with bolts still attached. It broke all the metal around the bolts so I can't just unscrew it and pop out the dents. I tried to JB Weld it, it kinda helped except it will close now and lock down except it still opens about a half inch. Any suggestions of how to fix this other than a new door.

rdn
07-13-2004, 10:13 AM
hmmm...i've just replaced my doors (both drivers sides...cheap from the junk yard) and it was fairly easy to do ...make sure you swap the key hole as well (to use the same key)....bad thing is that you'll need a repaint

smufguy
07-13-2004, 06:59 PM
u mean the lock mechanism on the door is fucked up or on the A-pillar?

The A-pillar is a bitch to remove cause those phillips head screws are like frozen stuck. BUt the ones are the door is rather easy to pull out. But u gotta take the panel out and the wather strip sheet out to get the lock mechanism out.

I bet it happend cause the lock seized due to lack of lubrication.

mag_pbg
07-13-2004, 09:47 PM
The lock on the door, that connects to the A pillar. I think I will just have to replace the whole door, the metal that the bolts go through is pretty much scrap, the only thing holding the lock in place is JB Weld.

k-roy
07-13-2004, 10:29 PM
Well you got 2 options
1 NEw Door
2. Get a plate cut and welded in place to hold it correctly
personally I would get a new door, probably cheaper.