PDA

View Full Version : exhaust popping

pervasto
07-13-2004, 03:13 PM
so here in south jersey we had major flooding and i was out driving when my car stalled. so i'm able to get back home and i open my intake and water rushes out. now every thing is all dried out but my exhaust has this strange popping sound and my idle is rougher what could be happening and how can i fix it

88accordhb
07-13-2004, 03:43 PM
i think since the air intake system is cloged, youre got getting enough air into the block and not enough exhaust velocity, that's why exhaust air comes out in small incriments of puffs. or pops. i think? uhhh how's the drive? wat do you mean rougher?

pervasto
07-13-2004, 04:43 PM
the idle waivers between 1000 and 850 instead of staying steady

A20A1
07-13-2004, 04:49 PM
do you have a carb? it may be water in the fuel tank or float bowl.

smufguy
07-13-2004, 06:57 PM
get a can of gas treatment and pour it in, as a matter of fact get two. Its the red bottle from walmart, either STP or Supertech. But get just the gas treatment stuff, nothing else.

In central jersey there was some flooding, but im glad i did not suck anywater up back from work even tho i got a cai. Also, check ur intake manifold insides to see if u got any water.

To be honest, pull ur spark plugs and see how they look like. Bet they got lots of carbon on them. Try to clean it with a soft wire brush and put it back in and see how it is.

also, just pull the distributor cap and see if there is any condensation or what not inside.

Popping is either moisture rich fuel, or ignition fouling.