PDA

View Full Version : Tech help needed, input plz.

bc86
07-14-2004, 11:09 AM
I've priced out a replacment carb for $50 from a wrecker, but I would like to try to fix the prob b4 going that route. So, heres the details.

First:

I seem to b having an overheating prob when on the highway for an extended period of time, also, when going up hill. First thing comes to mind would b head gasket, however, had that tested last summer. Mind u, this problem is new as of this summer, so maybe I will have to go that route, but anyways, I have been nudged to replace the rad, hopefully will b gettin one from a wrecker, chances r slim however, as most cars are written off on the front end. Does this sound about right to everyone??

Second:

Having some carb issues, but who doesnt. I've noticed the Intake air temp control system doesnt seem to b workin. There is always a vacum on the line. (The one that controls my air intake, exaust or fender air) After hours of driving, this doesnt seem to go away.. Maybe replace the sensor?? I dont know too much about this.

Third:

I've replaced my throttle cable prob a year back, cuz I was having this prop, and a year later, if yet to work it out. Basically its almost like the throttle is sticking. Im trying to set my idle higher, but had to 'pull up' on the piece, where the cable attaches to the carb. I cant seem to figure out y its not coming up all the way. I heard something along the lines of lithium grease, but I cant see that making a difference. Hopefully somebody will have some good input. Or just tell me how to fix my car.

Fourth: Standing in the rear end, really smells like my car is running lean, would it just b worth it to replace the carb? Even if it is one from a wrecker, at least I have the xtra one to rebuild.. Cuz I cant see the idle being high or low making my car run lean, and it has seemed like Im using more gas now. Give me some input and ideas.

A20A1
07-14-2004, 02:16 PM
first disconnect the line to that air intake diaphragm and plug the hose and make sure the door isn't blocking normal intake air, and see if the overheating goes away...

second, I'm not quite getting what you are saying about the trottle cable but do you have an automatic? the TV cable may be tighter then the accel cable.

accordlxi2.0
07-14-2004, 02:24 PM
i think . . . i think he's trying to say . . damn i don't know .
i just woke up it's tooo much!!!!

that intake temp does'nt work not because of the system.
just get a civic in take and your car be alot better.
lean, well you can advance the timing and richen the a/f screw.
if you were running lean, you would'nt be using alot more gas, there would be some popping at idle though.

A20A1
07-14-2004, 02:29 PM
or you can flip your lid :D

bc86
07-14-2004, 02:56 PM
first disconnect the line to that air intake diaphragm and plug the hose and make sure the door isn't blocking normal intake air, and see if the overheating goes away...

second, I'm not quite getting what you are saying about the trottle cable but do you have an automatic? the TV cable may be tighter then the accel cable.

Well... Your talking about the hose, that runs from somewhere to something?? Acutally, the hose that runs from somewhere to the thingy in my air intake?? I can disconnect that, and plug it, and then I wont be gettin warm air when its cold outside. Which, I dont care about, but my q is as follows, theres always a vacum there, even after driving my car for an hour, so basically, instead of takin cold air through my fender, its taking it from my exaust shield. And no, its standard. Im talkin about the part of the carb, that say if u were to push down on, my throttle would go up, like wise, vise versa. The problem with my idle lies in the part, i've adjusted my idle, as per the idle screw, but I have to pull up on the gas pedal to get my idle to drop, and the cable is not stickin, as it is new.

bc86
07-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Did I say I was running lean, i meant rich, uber rich. Really stinks back there. So what would u suggest about that. I've ordered a carb from a wrecker, will b gettin that tomorrow, so will play around with that one. Make sure the a/f cap is off b4 i put it on, and make sure the butterfly part as I was told it was called, is not sticking.

accordlxi2.0
07-14-2004, 03:03 PM
I KNEW IT, but i did'nt want to seem like an ass.
i've been told that when you tap the gas it goes up to 1,200rpm.
it's like a feature to cool down the carb, and coolant.
and to disable this is to pull up on the gas.
well i had this same problem on my 86, and i have this problem on my 88.
that's why i'm converting to pgm fi.
if thier is vaccum to the intake warm air thingy, just dissconnect it.
and plug the vac line.
thier is only supposed to be vacuum when the engine is cold.
once it warm up it should close.
what's your rpm range in park, in drive???????

bc86
07-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Well, i dont have a P or a D. Its a 5 speed. But in N its about 1100-1200 until I pull up on the gas pedal, and it drop to a perfect 1000. Which im guessin is the right one, cuz when it was at 900, my lights dimmed.