PDA

View Full Version : Irritating oil leak!!!!

soljaboy2000
07-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Okay ever since I got my car running from the last inncodent i been having problem with smoke from the hood. I look under the car and saw that oil was dripping on the exaust pipe. I dunno if I can specify the exact area but its directy under the oil filter where there's is conncection of two bolts on the exaust pipe. Okay this what I know.....I know it's not the valve cover gasket or distributor (these areas have been sealed with silicone and show no signs of oil) I check the oil filter and detected no oil around the seal and also I see no oil dripping from oil pan drainage bolt. This only leaves the oil pan gasket right??? (As I did spot oil trails along the side pan). If so how easy or hard it is to remove the pan to replace the gasket??

Sabz5150
07-14-2004, 07:02 PM
I have the EXACT same problem. I think it's the PCV crap under the manifold. There should be a box under there (the oil pan connects to it by a rubber tube), and I think that's where it's coming from. I haven't had a chance to get under there but eventually I'll get my lazy butt up under my car and check it out.

nswst8
07-14-2004, 07:08 PM
It is the (are you ready for this :ugh: ) Oil filter base gasket. Not the oil filter gasket, but the base is what the oil filter screws on to. This base is bolted to the engine block by three 10mm bolts.
The tricky part is one of two ideas either remove the the oil pressure sending unit on top of this base or use a small 10mm wrench and slowly work the base away from the block.
Its a simple fix and the gasket is only like $4.
Hope this helps,

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-14-2004, 08:11 PM
There are two possible options. One as nswst8 mentioned is the oil filter base gasket. The other is the PCV Crank Case vent hose. It is the rubber hose that usually blocks the oil filter from view. Both are dealer items. The hose is pretty expensive if I remember correctly (Majestic lists it under oil filter and breather). But, it is worth it to buy it from the dealer because you will not find the correct metric diameter at any auto parts store (tried that before :D) Also, the oil filter base gasket will make your engine look like one big oil leak once it starts leaking. The earlier you catch it, the less grime there will be. Hope this helps.

shepherd79
07-15-2004, 04:20 AM
since it is dripping, i would say it is oil base o-ring.

kdagenais
07-16-2004, 08:21 AM
I just went through this on my car and it was the oil filter base seal. Also would recommend changing the PCV valve at the same time. This was the last possible thing I changed and it fixed the problem and since no more oil smells and leaking $4 well spent.
I defintely recomment removing the oil sending unit (24mm wrench)cause the wrench method would take forever and that is not an easy area to work in.
Good Luck!!

Mike's89AccordLX
07-16-2004, 08:26 AM
First off don't use that silicone gasket maker crap. If you need to make a gasket that can seal off oil, coolant, and other fluids use "The Right Stuff" it's the best there is and there is no off brands b/c it's patented. The can makes about 20 gaskets and the can is $21 at my stores.

Or you can get a new valve cover gasket from napa and then make sure you clean the surfaces good b/c if you don't it will leak.

-Mike