PDA

View Full Version : Identifying A Few Things (Easy)

Wipeout
07-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Edit: forgot the picture, lol
http://www.teamcaf.org/upload/honda/Honda-Questions.jpg
Quick help! I disconnected my vacuum lines and..
1. What is this? Can I disconnect it from the carburetor and remove it? Should I plug the hole?
2. This thing hissed when I unplugged it and it scared the crap out of me. I can get rid of it, right? What does it do?
3. What's this thing? Can it go?
4. This thing is big and looks useless. Can this go too? What does it do?
5. What's the best way to seal this off? Find a really really big bolt? :P

Thanks guys, this forum is indispensible.

pimp86LX
07-14-2004, 10:39 PM
#4 is cruise control.

A20A1
07-15-2004, 03:34 AM
1. What is this? Can I disconnect it from the carburetor and remove it? Should I plug the hole?
2. This thing hissed when I unplugged it and it scared the crap out of me. I can get rid of it, right? What does it do?
3. What's this thing? Can it go?
4. This thing is big and looks useless. Can this go too? What does it do?
5. What's the best way to seal this off? Find a really really big bolt? :P

1. Charcoal canister, yes you can remove it, you may want to let the fumes bleed from the fuel tank
- cap the line that pokes thru the firewall with a small valve cover breather filter or connect the hose from the firewall to the place where the PCV hose connected to. (clean it out first thought and remove the PCV spoungy filter)

2. That is a vacuum holding canister

3. Solenoid for controlling vacuum, not sure which one

4. Diaphragm for cuise control

5. EGR and Air suction pipes
A good way to seal them off is to cut the pipe a fair distance from where the pipe meets the exhaust manifold and then hammer the open end flat just enough so you can fold it over itself and then rehammer the bend till it is flat and sealed.

I welded the pipes shut prior to installing my header.

Wipeout
07-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! :)

accordlxi2.0
07-15-2004, 02:30 PM
damn!. . someone did a vacuum modifacation. . . ..
i wonder if he was a member here . . . . .

A20A1
07-15-2004, 04:54 PM
but accordlxi2.0, I thought Wipeout was doing the removal...

accordlxi2.0
07-15-2004, 05:12 PM
ohhh, damn my bad, i did'nt read it the pic was too big so i did'nt notice. . .
:bong: :alc:

Wipeout
07-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Yep, I removed the vacuum lines. I knew very little about carburetors before I did the mod. It was actually very easy. Now, in my other thread, I'm having more problems (not related to vacuum removal).

iron
07-15-2004, 08:56 PM
3) is the ac idle boost control solenoid, it's connected to another air can type device down inside the wheel well, you'll have to remove the splash guard inside the wheel well if you want to take it out.

I'd be interested in knowing where the large vacuum line (the one w/the braided cover) on 4 (cruise control diaphram) connected. Mine was cut and left hanging by the previous owner.

Wipeout
07-15-2004, 09:11 PM
If I remember I can look tomorrow. I PMed you back by the way.