PDA

View Full Version : Single to Dual stage intake swap?

ahbeyra
07-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Is it possible to convert my hatch's intake manifold to the 88-89's dual stage intake manifold? i have the wiring harness, the vaccum box, and the whole intake manifold inluding injectors and fuel rail. would i need anything else? or is that more than i need to convert it? I would really like to convert it so that i can use some of the 4th gen TB stuff, as well as just plain having dual stage intake... Thanks!

-Kelley

shepherd79
07-15-2004, 09:59 AM
dual intake manifolds suck big time.
single stage is better.
plus it is pain in the ass to convert.

ahbeyra
07-15-2004, 10:03 AM
How do they suck? is it an engineering problem? or just in general? i thought it was an upgrade... thats too bad. i thought i had something fun to do with my extra time. i will just have to wait until an older honda dies then.

accordlxi2.0
07-15-2004, 12:22 PM
lol, . . . . . .

well i liked it, but the reason why shepherd79 say's it hard cause, you have a 86efi in 88 they changed it so they also modified the computer to open the second in take at a certain rpm range.
so if you do, do it ,then you would have to attach the vacuum line to have the barrel's open at all time's, doing this increases your low end more.

ahbeyra
07-15-2004, 12:33 PM
What about changing the computers as well? i know its a pain and all, im just curious of the work involved. besides, whats wrong with low end power... unless it kills top end

accordlxi2.0
07-15-2004, 02:34 PM
nah . . . .
but yea it's gonna be a pain in the ass, cause you MIGHT have to remove the dash to get the wiring assmebly or find the right pin so it can activate the solenoid.
but if you wanna do it right, your gonna have to get engine bay wiring assembly, vacuum box, and a ecu for 88-89pgmfi.

ahbeyra
07-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Ok, so let me get this right... Since i already have the engine bay wiring harness and vaccum box, and getting the ecu is a 5 minute job, should it all be a bolt on process? or will i still have to find the correct pin for the solenoid... and what solenoid? because the butterflies are vaccum acctuated, is there a solenoid im missing?

-Kelley

accordlxi2.0
07-15-2004, 07:24 PM
yea when the tps reaches around 3,000-4,000rpm range it'll acuate the solenoid.
the only thing that different is the connector to the vacuum box, cause of the solenoid.
plus youre gonna need it cause the iacv system is different compared to your's . . . . .

ahbeyra
07-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Im not sure if i missed your answer to my question or if you answered something else.

1-by solenoid you are talking about the thing that actuates the butterflies?

2-all i need in addition to the intake is the vaccum box, wiring harness, and the ecu?

3-Is there anything that i would have to modify beyond simple bolt out old and bolt in new?

sorry if im seemingly hard headed or anything, im just trying to make sure i understand what you mean. anyway, thanks again for all of your help.

-Kelley