PDA

View Full Version : SOS! My car is shut down

Euphoria
07-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Does anyone can help me of my problem:

I've twice of my 3G (1989, 4D, LXi, 4AT, 133k miles) after running 20miles (w/ air condition, stero & lights opened)around then stop in the parking area, ten minutes later, after dinner or shopping, I can't not start my car. There is no any response (no any noise) when I switch-on of my key to "START". And I try many many times, it just stand still. The power windows, lights, radio, every electrical parts seemed ok since the battery just using around 9 months.

After one hours sitting, I CAN start it as usual. It was also happened on my friend's car when I drove the 3G (1989, 4D, EX, 4AT) in Bangkok, Thailand.

My car is very easily to start every morning. But these two times (last month & last week) troubles make me really worry that some days I will be stocked in the highway. I'm not sure it was something over heat or some switch was protective.

Dose anybody know about my problem? Please tell me what should I do? Thanks in advance!

86LXItooFAST4me
07-15-2004, 10:56 AM
need more details really, just with the info you gave it could be a bunch of things. fuel pump, ignition coil, ignitor, ignition switch, relays..... does the engine turn over at all when attempting to start?

Moodybluesr
07-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Main relay.

accordlxi2.0
07-15-2004, 11:26 AM
yea, if you check engine light don't come on and stay on for 2 second's, and/or you don't hear the pump, it's the main relay . . . . . . . .

Euphoria
07-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks! Gentlemen!
I didn't hear any pump when I start, I'll try to replace new main relay as your advise! Good luck to me!

accordlxi2.0
07-15-2004, 05:14 PM
wiat what about the c.e.l.??
did it come on??

86LXItooFAST4me
07-17-2004, 11:14 AM
so did you fix it?

Euphoria
07-18-2004, 08:26 PM
I replaced something under tha passenger seat to fix the door lock, I found two small metal boxes (I guessed they were some kind of relay) in the area, I also replaced them, and it seemed the problem is gone! I'm not sure the main relay located, should they be within the fuses box?

maka_RTH
07-18-2004, 08:48 PM
main relay is up behind the hood release mounted on the fender wall. it's really annoying to get to..., i just disconnected mine and hooked up the new one for now. i'll prolly take it out sometime. oh yah, take off the coin holder dealy and look through there, you can see it.

Euphoria
07-19-2004, 06:06 AM
Thanks! I found it! I'll try to find a spare to replace it!

XJRiggs
07-20-2004, 02:11 AM
Maybe this isn't your problem but something else to look into, neutral safety switch. Make sure that shifter is all the way in park.

Euphoria
07-21-2004, 06:30 AM
Hi, I'm still looking the spare of the main relay, but my car was shut down again tonight! I try to litsen very carefully, I heard the "di-da" & "di-da" sound was from the main relay when I try to start the car by switching the key! But anyhow, it jusy keep shut down. It took me another 20 minutes to let it wake up!

kdagenais
07-21-2004, 08:14 AM
Sounds like your starter is going bad. Take it off and into a Auto Zone to have it tested to be 100% sure it is bad.
Good Luck!!

maka_RTH
07-21-2004, 08:29 AM
you could also try replacing your fuel filter. even if that's not it, it wouldn't hurt.

kdagenais
07-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Just to clear something up. Does the engine turn over at all when this happens? If the engine is turning over just not starting then you have other issues.

Euphoria
07-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi!
Everything is silent when I switched on my key except the main relay with the sound of "di-da" & "di-da", it this meaning the main relay is still ok or bad? No any sounds from engine, starter or distributor. And before I switched on the key, all indicators on the panel are normal, the checked light of engine (color orange) is also snuffed out within 1 to 2 seconds. The power windows, head lights everything go well.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-21-2004, 07:09 PM
but the engine will not spin over right?

Euphoria
07-21-2004, 08:13 PM
What did you mean "engine spin over"? Not really understand.

kdagenais
07-22-2004, 03:54 AM
With that said it sounds liek your starter is going bad. Take it off and have it tested at your local auto parts store.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-22-2004, 07:10 AM
not necessarily on the starter. I mean its possible but it could be other things.

when I say "spin over" I mean when you try and start your car (turn the key all the way) does the engine turn over and start up, or just keep spinning over without firing any of the cylinders?? are you getting any ignition, or when you turn the key to the start position does nothing happen at all, as in the engine doesn't move or doesn't spin over?

kdagenais
07-22-2004, 08:01 AM
not necessarily on the starter. I mean its possible but it could be other things.
When he is saying the following
QUOTE]di-da" & "di-da",
It tells me that all he is hearing is a click sound from eiither the solenoid or the relay (more likely the solenoid). This is a tell tale sigh of a bad starter. Euphoria Please confirm that all you hear is a clicking sound only so we can give you accurate info.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-22-2004, 08:31 AM
that could also be a dead battery that just doesnt have enuff juice to start the car. it might have enuff to turn all the lights on though. turn on your headlights and see if they are dim or not. also your alternator could be going bad causing the battery to die.

Euphoria
07-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Yes, it's like you said "when you turn the key to the start position does nothing happen at all, as in the engine doesn't move or doesn't spin over?", everything is keeping silent, no matter engine, starter or distributor, only can hear "di-da" & "di-da" from (old) main relay!

I replaced a (new) main relay this morning, I'll try to duplicate the problem tonight, if the (new) main relay works.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-22-2004, 08:54 PM
you might wanna check you battery, i bet you a dollar its dead

maka_RTH
07-22-2004, 09:05 PM
he said that sometimes it works though. although..., i suppose if the battery sits for a bit it might save just enough juice to barely crank it over, but yah. if a starter is going bad then it can still work sometimes, especially when its cooled down. solenoids like to not work as well when they're hot.

Euphoria
07-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Yes, like you said "when you turn the key to the start position does nothing happen at all, as in the engine doesn't move or doesn't spin over?", everything kept silent, no matter engine, starter or distributor. Only the sound of "di-da" from the (old) main relay when the moment I switched the key.

I replaced a (new) main relay this morning, I'll try to duplicate it tonight, hope it (new) works!

Euphoria
07-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi!
The problem only happend when my car ran after wokring in hot condition, it's all right when start in everyday morning or after 20 to 30 monutes when car shut down.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-22-2004, 10:03 PM
i think its the charging system, take you car to a shop or parts store and run a STARTER-BATTERY-CHARGE test

Euphoria
07-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Hi! Sorry that I got some message late!
It's clear that no any sound from engine room, I checked again & again, only the "di-da" from (old) main relay, the headlight and room light is fine as normal when the car was shut down! The battery I used is the kind "NO NEED TO ADD LIQUID" into the battery body.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-22-2004, 10:12 PM
do you have anyway of testing the battery? like a battery tester or swap it with another vehical? im just trying to narrow it down a bit more to avoid costly starter replacement. and its a pain in the ass to do it yourself.

maka_RTH
07-22-2004, 10:19 PM
i think its the charging system, take you car to a shop or parts store and run a STARTER-BATTERY-CHARGE test
i second that. a lot of places do this for free.

Euphoria
07-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks! Gentlemen!
I'll do it at tomorrow afternoon!

kdagenais
07-23-2004, 04:01 AM
If the battery was dead it would not start when it was cold regardless. Also if his charging system was not working the car would not run after it killed the battery. This would happen in about 30 minutes with the headlights on. This is a classic case of starter problems when it gets hot the clearance on the brushes separates thus not creating a strong enough field and end result not torque to turn the engine.

maka_RTH
07-23-2004, 07:51 AM
he said that sometimes it works though. although..., i suppose if the battery sits for a bit it might save just enough juice to barely crank it over, but yah. if a starter is going bad then it can still work sometimes, especially when its cooled down. solenoids like to not work as well when they're hot.

If the battery was dead it would not start when it was cold regardless. Also if his charging system was not working the car would not run after it killed the battery. This would happen in about 30 minutes with the headlights on. This is a classic case of starter problems when it gets hot the clearance on the brushes separates thus not creating a strong enough field and end result not torque to turn the engine.

there's two for starter. especially if you say you're lights and stuff works fine, then yah, i doubt it'd be the battery/charging system.

*edit: if you don't mind waiting a few days, here's (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=33370&highlight=starters) a starter for $20.

86LXItooFAST4me
07-23-2004, 10:11 AM
im sure it is the starter, but why replace a starter if its the alt or bat?? i mean its free to test it and all they do is hook two cables to the battery. and then you can say FOR SURE if its the starter or not. that way there is no EXTRA work. comprenda? :D

i mean id rather replace a battery than a starter anyday. instead of replacing both, which you would have to do if you started with the part thats not the problem.

look at the fall before you jump is all im saying.

Euphoria
07-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Yes. I'll make the test of "starter charging", if looks bad, I'll plan to replace the starter! By the way, It have two more days after I replaced the main relay, I had simlulated three times till now, it can be started as same driving situation as failed of before. I'll visit a car repair center to make sure the "starter charging" next week.

Euphoria
08-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi!
It was found again when I visited the service center this Tuesday evening! After checked, it was the solenoid worn out of the starter, I have to replace a new one, otherwise, I have to stand for it! Said it just need to slightly knocking on the starter (area of solenoid), it will be waken up!

86LXItooFAST4me
08-13-2004, 06:51 AM
hey if its a manual you could always park on a hill and then just pop the clutch when you leave :D

mag_pbg
08-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Starters aren't to bad to replace, I replaced one in a video mart once in prob. 30 min or less, just go tto clear all the shit out of the way.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Starters aren't to bad to replace, I replaced one in a video mart once in prob. 30 min or less, just go tto clear all the shit out of the way.

i replaced one in a 8 story car garage one time at 3 in the morning. that was interesting.

Euphoria
08-15-2004, 09:27 PM
No kidding! It's work for three times! "Said it just need to slightly knocking on the starter (area of solenoid), it will be waken up!" Since I was poor of budget, I have to wait for a while to replace it!