PDA

View Full Version : Carb off, just have a few clarifying Q's

bc86
07-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Ok, the carb is off. I just want to identify a few things b4 I install the new one.

First: A line which has Coolant in it... Is this normal? Its new the back, between firewall and carb, down near the bottom. Looks like the line runs under under the carb, leading towards the front. Couldnt tell u much more about it, as I am no mechanic.

Second: Lets say u took your carb off, and reached around behind the motor, down beside the oil filter, there appears to be a black foam sort of box there, what is that??

Third: Im having heating probs, and Im wondering if I may have found the/a problem. Underneath that black foamy box, there is grease/oil, but its kinda green. How I can tell its green, Im guessin some got onto my drive shaft, and it has spit up abit onto my firewall, probably right in the middle, and it has a green color to it. Not light green, but a dark dark green. Doesnt smell like coolant, and there is no oil in my coolant, and no coolant in my oil....

Fourth: Now that im inside, I cant remember which hose it was exaclty coming out of my carb, but it appeared to have oil in it... Is that normal? Im assuming all lines should only have air, aside from the fuel lines.

Thx for the help

Wipeout
07-15-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm new to Hondas but the line with coolant in it is normal. It's the manifold heater, and (I think) helps fuel atomization in cold temperatures.

bc86
07-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Ok, excellent, just curious to y there would b coolant entering the carb...

Wipeout
07-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Yeah, on some cars the manifold heater is a pain in the rear, but it looks pretty simple on my Accord. I'm putting a Cadillac 4.9L into my Fiero and even though that's fuel injected it still has coolant running through the throttle body. I haven't hooked that up yet, though.

Oh yeah, and if you ever think your Honda is hard to work on.... try a 4.9L Fiero. lol

bc86
07-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Your puttin a cadilac motor in a fiero?? U have way to much time on your hands... Correct me if im wrong, but isnt that gonna haul ass????

Wipeout
07-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Oh man, I will talk your ear off about this swap if you'll let me. The motor and transmission are in the car, and the car is rolling again. The reason I got the Honda was for a winter car, and something for me to cruise around in before I finish the Fiero. I bought the Honda for $30. The Fiero was fast with 140 hp and 170 ft/lbs in the stock H.O. 2.8L V6.. I'm shooting for 250 hp and 325 ft/lbs with the Caddy motor. Over 90% of the torque that motor produces is available from 1600 rpm all the way to redline - 5250 rpm. The shift points are set at 4900 rpm. This isn't your average small V8, this is a stump pulling motor :P The car should run 13s in the quarter, but it will be unstoppable from light to light. I'm talking about under 5 seconds from 0 to 60 when I finish. Stock the 4.9 puts out 200 hp and 275 ft/lbs, and so far I've taken off a LOT of Caddy crap, added a new distributor cap and ignition coil, new plug wires, and I am getting the ECM reprogrammed so it doesn't retard timing before shift (Caddy smooth? that's why) and so the transaxle shifts firmer, and putting on a real exhaust (nothing like the real restrictive stock Cadillac exhaust). Oh, and a cold air intake, because the Fiero comes stock with one. Anyway, like I said, don't even get me started.. :D
I'm writing a write up, which doesn't have all my progress yet:
www.teamcaf.org/swap
and you can catch a few sneak-peek pictures at www.teamcaf.org/upload
The motor is in now, like I said.
There I go rambling :P

bc86
07-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Good to hear man, sounds like fun. U have too much time on your hands

Wipeout
07-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Haha, well that may be. :)
Anyway, back to your thread.. anyone know the rest of 'em? I don't.

k-roy
07-15-2004, 10:05 PM
#2 is the Positive Crankcase Ventelation vent box, something like that. It seperates oil from air then the air is routed through to the PVC system while the oil goes back into the engine. It can get pretty messy if it cracks or there is a bad seal.

3. You got a leak in one of the coolant lines.. Under the manifold there is 2 heater hoses, and a couple of coolant lines for the manifold. You could also have a leaky O ring for the cooling pipe, or it could be corroded, that runs the length of the head 2" below the manifold. Or possibly a stuck thermostat, bad t-stat gasket or t-stat housing to head gasket. Then there are the upper and lower radiator hoses. I went ahead and replaced all that crap when I first got the car, the smaller coolant hoses had to be original.

4. Is that the PCV tube connected to the manifold from the box (see #2)? Cuz thats normal. Other than that you should not have any oil in any lines around the carb.

sporkHSP
07-15-2004, 11:06 PM
wow... that fiero sounds pretty tough, and i saw th epics, thats the best bodystyle too, one of the few american cars i would not mind owning at all.

A20A1
07-16-2004, 03:01 AM
the coolant line to the carb is the carb base heater.... the 2 larger coolant lines to the intake manifold are the manifold heaters...

bc86
07-16-2004, 10:18 AM
So it would definetly be a good suggestion to take my car to a coolant shop, and have them run some tests?? As I dont see much room under there to look around, unless I shove my head between the motor and firewall, and peek around, maybe I will do so later. Also, b4 I put my carb on, I have to remove part of it, to take that cap off. I cant seem to find the pic again, about what to remove. If anybody could post that thread for me, or post a pic. Thx so much.,

Wipeout
07-16-2004, 10:43 AM
The thread is right next to yours :uh:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=22263 :cool:

bc86
07-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Ok, well, cleaned up the new carb, gotta make her look all shiny b4 i put her in. Upon doing so, I noticed something, so I just want to ask about it b4 I put it on. At the very top of the carb, are 2 holes. One is open, the other has a cover, which opens slightly, and closes. My question is in regards to that cover. On my old carb, the cover opens and closes very smoothly. But on the one Im putin in, it does not seem to close all the way, unless I make it. Just doesnt seem to have enough spring to close itself.. Any ideas??

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 05:15 PM
umm your talking about the choke??
or the first barrel.
well it's not gonna close all the way till you push the gas pedal.
or open the trottle while trying to close the choke flap.

bc86
07-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Ok, so being open a bit should be fine then, excellent.

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 05:24 PM
BUT when yo\a push the throttle it should close,,. . .then once you start it . . .
ah shit you know what i'm talking about . .

bc86
07-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Okee dokee. Well, this whole carb thing has come to an end. The new carb is in, and Im circling around it hookin up all my vacum lines, and to my surprise, this carb is a bit different. It looks like it has the extended out area for lines, but no holes drilled through it. So what does this mean?? Its a different carb?

accordlxi2.0
07-17-2004, 12:02 PM
is it the same year from your's??
did ya get it from the junkyard??

bc86
07-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Its identical, same year, same amout of doors. The only things its missin is a few air lines.

accordlxi2.0
07-17-2004, 01:08 PM
oh you mean the a.b.c. ports?
or the white plastic air thingy's, either way you don't really need them . . . .
if your talking about the a.b.c that's it's missing then got good new's withoput that it has a lil kick in a acceleration.