PDA

View Full Version : Car vibrates on acceleration

BiGDawG_RTL
07-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, new to the club. I got a 87 LXi H/B with 279,000 miles and it purrs like a kitten, it just looks like a**. It needs paint, it came from cali originally and the paint is all eaten up.

Anyway, ever since i've had it, it shakes when i accelerate. It's not really bad, I had a 90 integra that did it much worse and it was a bent axel, but i already replaced the axels. It now has new tires which i mounted and balanced myself and it still does it. The clutch is getting replaced next week so I hope that's it but i'm skeptical that it is. Any suggestions as to what to check next?
And sometimes, mostly when you kill it by not knowing how to drive a stick, it wont start. It'll turn over but not run. I've figured out that but pumping the gas while cranking it it'll finally start, that or getting out and jiggling the battery and dist. wires (I think it's just a fluke that it starts after that :dunno: ) but i've replaced the batt. terminals and checked the wiring, it has all new grounds. The check engine light comes on as normal when it happens. It always restarts but it's embarasing.

Oh yeah, my brother has a 88 civic 1.5 that we have done EVERYTHING to try to get it to pass emissions. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2, timing belt, adj. valves, replaced injectors, tested EVERY sensor and checked every vaccum line, replaced computer! it still runs WAY too rich :burn: , the plugs are black and the O2 stays at .9 volts. Any ideas? I'd REALLY appreciate it, he's counting on me to figure it out. :help:

Thanks guys.
Robert :rockon:

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 10:54 AM
okay on your h/b does the vibe increase with the speed.
on your brother civic the o2 sensor should constantly change number's, not just red .9v
let the car warm up, then while the engine is running, dissconnet the o2 sensor, then take a dmm, each wire on each end, the reading sould flunctuate,like every second, then snap the throttle the volt's should go up, then come back down . . . .

does the check engine light come on??

Mike's89AccordLX
07-16-2004, 10:58 AM
You might have a bad engine mount. I'm thinking it's the "dogbone" looking engine mount. Mine did this and I replaced the rubber bushings on each side of the black dog bone and it took care of the shaking that the engine made.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
07-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Here's a link to a thread that can help you out.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=33068&highlight=dog+bone

shepherd79
07-16-2004, 03:11 PM
when you balanced the tires yourself, i hope you used digital balancer and not one of those for home use crap.
second, check your ECU for any codes. it is under your seat (driver). look from behind, flip the little window, turn the key and see if the light is blinking. if it blinks count the blinks.
check your upper ball joints. they should be tight when you try to shake the tire.
if the tire is shaking, and ball joints are good, it is your wheelbearing.

BiGDawG_RTL
07-16-2004, 04:36 PM
okay, on my car: the vibration is with the engine not the speed of the car. I'll check out the motor mount, good idea. And i work (or used to as of this monday) at a shop and used the tire balancing machine. I didn't even know they had them for home use, that must be ghetto, how would it work??

On my brothers civic, i know it should fluxuate, it should go up and down like you said, but it always stays at .9v. And its a new O2 sensor. So the computer knows it running to rich but something must be wrong some where cause it's not (or can't) lean it out. It'll set a code 16 (fuel injectors) once in a while but I replaced them and the computer. It only fails on idle and it smokes when you romp on it. We did a compression test, all the cyinders rated 195. I guess it's possessed.

Thanks for all the input!

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 04:48 PM
hmm it's running rich, . . . does it rev fine or does it sound like it's choking??
and you did it the way i had suggested,. . . may sound crazy but the o2 sensor you got may be defective . . .
i know you replaced the air filter . . . . .
or it could be the coolant temp sensor, cuase if it's telling the computer the engine is cold, the ecu could be making it run rich.

how about this when you first start it cold, and it rev'sa around 2,000rpm's when cold does it go down as it warm's???

BiGDawG_RTL
07-16-2004, 06:36 PM
It runs great, it doesn't sound like it's choking. And actually no, it doesn't rev high when its cold, i never realized that. It always revs like it was warm, at about 750. Yeah, i replaced the air filter and tested the coolant temp sensor and it was in range. mmmm, i wonder why it doesn't rev high when it's cold??
It's dual point injection by the way.

hmm it's running rich, . . . does it rev fine or does it sound like it's choking??
and you did it the way i had suggested,. . . may sound crazy but the o2 sensor you got may be defective . . .
i know you replaced the air filter . . . . .
or it could be the coolant temp sensor, cuase if it's telling the computer the engine is cold, the ecu could be making it run rich.

how about this when you first start it cold, and it rev'sa around 2,000rpm's when cold does it go down as it warm's???

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 08:05 PM
yea figure that.
that's what it's supposed to do.
rev when it's cold then as the engine get's warmer it lower's.
hmmm and it failed emission's????!!
what it's mile per gallon??
and if it's hi like i think it is . .
something's wrong with thier system.
but you said it smoke's when ya floor it, it smell like gas after wards?
did you replace the secondary injector too??
and maybe just maybe the injector's on in park when it should'nt like with the 3g's carb secondaries does'nt open unless it's in drive.
pgm fi secondaries does'nt open when in drive either . . .man what going on!

BiGDawG_RTL
07-17-2004, 03:10 PM
I'll find out the MPG next time he fills it, it smells like gas when its ideling and i did replace both injectors. The honda dealership up here said its rare that they have anyone replace those injectors and in fact didn't show a history of ever selling the auxillery injector, but i did them both, didn't make a difference. I've talked to so many techs about this and eveyone's stumped. I'm just going to tell him to get rid of it since he doesn't want to deal with it anymore.