PDA

View Full Version : I dunno if this is the "best" solution but it is working for now

ag bullet
07-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Again with an AC question.... I know... Sorry in advance.

Basically the clutch in my compressor is drawing too much juice and it pops the #5 fuse (rear window defogger) when it engages sometimes. My shop tested it and it took over two hours for a cycle to trip it. One of my buddies that works there, suggested upping the fuse to a 15A or 20A and see if it pops that as well.

I have a 15A in there now and everything seems hunky-dory. I was assured that I am not running a risk of fire or other problems other than toasting the relay. So if that is the most likely problem that I could face, it certainly beats the price tag of replacing the compressor.

Do you guys agree with my buddy that I am really not gonna hurt anything by moving up to a 15A fuse?

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 05:12 PM
if it was a 10a fuse and you bump it to a 15a, umm not really, it was probaly the wrong rating in the first place..

ag bullet
07-16-2004, 06:48 PM
if it was a 10a fuse and you bump it to a 15a, umm not really, it was probaly the wrong rating in the first place..

10A was the original.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-17-2004, 07:28 AM
The compressor clutch is replaceable and adjustable. I remember someone on the board had to swap and readjust the clutch. Not sure if you can still find those old threads though. Look in the electronic shop manual. It has detailed directions on how to test, replace, and even overhaul the compressor clutch. Its basically an electromagnetic coil, which may draw too much current as it ages. Hope this helps.

ag bullet
07-17-2004, 10:39 AM
The compressor clutch is replaceable and adjustable. I remember someone on the board had to swap and readjust the clutch. Not sure if you can still find those old threads though. Look in the electronic shop manual. It has detailed directions on how to test, replace, and even overhaul the compressor clutch. Its basically an electromagnetic coil, which may draw too much current as it ages. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads-up. i will look into that. I was told that the unit wasn't servicable/rebuildable.

AZmike
07-17-2004, 11:01 PM
I'd try a 15A or even a 20A fuse to save the hassle or dealing with the clutch. Those rating are low enough that they would still protect from a short, but might save hours of work working with a part that might only be a little out of spec and otherwise works fine. There's a chance that the clutch finishes itself off by drawing too much power, but that's about the only consequence that I see.

ag bullet
07-18-2004, 04:24 AM
I'd try a 15A or even a 20A fuse to save the hassle or dealing with the clutch. Those rating are low enough that they would still protect from a short, but might save hours of work working with a part that might only be a little out of spec and otherwise works fine. There's a chance that the clutch finishes itself off by drawing too much power, but that's about the only consequence that I see.
That is kind of what I was thinking. I will wait to replace it after it completely dies.