PDA

View Full Version : Another problem :(

3L_951
07-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Hey Guys, I fixed my accord yesterday :) It was the fuel pump. The car ran BEAUTIFULLY. Anyway, today I go to pick it up and its running like SHIT. If I am in neutral and no gas..car DIES. If hte rpms go to low..it dies. NOW it wont even REV but sometimes it will. WTF is this problem?! It has trouble starting and it has no balls. Unlike yesterday when it wasnt terribly slow, now its..lemme just say my old 81 Landcruiser was faster. I noticed that the flap in the center of the carb is stuck completly open and it looks like the spring that should hold it together isnt on there and some part of the spring looks snapped. does anyone have a picture of how that should go? Why is my "reliable" honda giving me problem after problem!? Would my problems be a result of that flap in the carb..?

thanks guys
mke

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 05:09 PM
you mean at the top of the first barrel, that's the choke opener, it supposed to be fulley opened when the engine is warm.
if it's closed that gonna cause problems.
when the engine is completly cold, the flap thingy should be closed(once you press the gas, with the engine off), start it up, then it should be open a little, then as the engine warm it should open, then once it's full warmed, it should be compleatly opened.

3L_951
07-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Hey, its open all the time ..:(

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 05:23 PM
hmmm, linkage could be dirty, or spring popped outta place, so your not able to close it, by holding the flap closed, then pushing the throttle, doing this causes the flap to close and reset's the fast idle system . . .

3L_951
07-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Sorry, I'm just in a bad mood..this car has been such a headache!!

What do you reccomend I try to do?

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 05:32 PM
i understand, i get pissed too . . .
lets see this only happens when the engine is cold, so try this i've done it well something simular.
i rev the gas at 1,500 rpm's for about 2min's and 5mins during winter.
i hated the fast idle because when i first started it up i would rev to 2,500 which is normal for carb accords, but on the other hand it bad for cold engine's mostly during winter, so i disable the F.I.U by attaching a vac line to manafold so it would'nt work.
that could be your problem.
the carb can't work unless it warm to a certain point .

3L_951
07-16-2004, 05:34 PM
It was doing it when it was warm too..might as well try it then...

can you give me a pic or some desrcription where this crap is? Also, would that contribute to my slow revving..no power..and stalling at idle?

I'm about ready to give up on this car. Yesterday it was perfect..today its complete garbage

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 05:38 PM
since you put it that way, i just noticed what you wrote . . my bad . . and were you the oone with the fuel pump issue? . . .
you did replace the fuel filter's right? . . . .

3L_951
07-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Yup thats me.

replaced pump. replaced main filter. secondary filter looked brandnew (and there was a recpiet for one in hte glovebox 6 months ago) so didnt replace that one.

I cant believe this car!!!

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 05:47 PM
oh shit . . don't worry, umm . . .
okay. . . give me a chance sorry man, i've been in a cast for 2 month's . .it's driving me crazy!!!!!
okay, now when you floor it does it sound and feel's like it's choking?
can you go past 40 and up? . .
i think i know what it is . .

3L_951
07-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Yeah, it sounds like that now. It hasnt had hte power to go very far at all! (Its at hte bottom of a very steep hill right now!

What do oyu think it is?

Why you in a cast? Hope ya feel better :( I know how it is

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 06:06 PM
first off this is why

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=36039
guy was trying to pull some scam and it back fired.

second , try checking the float,if it's too full it's spilling out over causeing this to happen.
to like resolve this problem raise the trottle idle to 1,100rpm's, i know it a bit high, then try to lower the float screw little by little, till you see the fuel in the middle level. . .
your keeping me busy, which is keeping me sane . . .

3L_951
07-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Okay, may sound dumb...I am good at workin on cars..except when it comes to carbs :(

What is the float..? The car was idling at 1,100 (thats where i set it, when I got it running it was feelin a lil rough around 800

I adjusted the idle with the cable and the 2 nuts. Where is this screw your talkin about?

thanks for the help and that is ONE CRAZY crash!

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 06:20 PM
the float is a see through glass on the driver side of the carb you should see fuel half full on the glass. their's a screw also more than likely painted yellow, this should be the same level around the surface of it.
if it's too high fuel is gonna leak out of the barrel's causeing it to run like crap.
the throttle stop screw is black thingy with indentation's, located on the passenger side of the carb, this is used to raise or lower the idle in park.
i hate carb's still do that's why i'm gonna convert my new one to fuel injection.
and that blue one was the one that got me hooked on honda's, had a lot of good time and had bad trime's just like your going thru . . .

3L_951
07-16-2004, 06:27 PM
Well, I had to run to the car quickly to get something out of it and while I was there I decided to try and start it. It started after a few seconds (normally starts right away)and it ran then died right away. Like it struggled then died. I guess Ill push it to my g/mas house (she'll be mighty pissed :() then work on it all day tommorow - I need to be GONE by 5pm!

Think what you told me will fix it..?
thanks bud
mike

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 06:29 PM
yea just check the float, like i said if it full then that's the problem . . .
also if you look in the first and second barrel and see gas leaking out then it's the float . .good luck, i know you'll find the problem ..

3L_951
07-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Awesome..so that flap being stuck open doesnt matter? :)?

Hard thing to fix? Do i need to spend more money...?

thanks man
mike

accordlxi2.0
07-16-2004, 07:56 PM
umm well if not now since it's hot out, but when winter come's gotta get on it.
damn to bad your not in chicago . . . .

3L_951
07-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Used to live in Chicago- Evanston to be exact...

Soomeone told me my timing belt could have skipped a few teeth? Ignition problems ,etc?

I hope its what you said :)

HondaBoy
07-16-2004, 11:52 PM
dont have any solution to the problem. but damn, your '81 landcruiser was faster! holy shit. for people who have never driven one, they are slow as shit. i think the 0-60 mph was in the range of 21 seconds, not an over statement. QM time was about 22 seconds. lol. thats some shit. kinda off topic, but had to let that be known. they were great for off roading reguardless.

accordlxi2.0
07-17-2004, 07:35 AM
if your timing jump a few teeth you car would'nt run. . .

3L_951
07-17-2004, 09:06 AM
I dont get hondas. The fuel level is RIGHT under half in that glass thing you were talking about.

the car now idles! Doenst die..but still has no balls. WTF is this all about?!

accordlxi2.0
07-17-2004, 09:17 AM
hmm, and when you take off, does it like sputter or what??